• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Looks like great headway!

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Pic's?......
    I will try to locate my camera later today when I start cleaning it all up to take a few pics.
    Let see if I can get some pic loaded here. 100_1819.JPG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• walleye1
    replied
    No hill for a hill climber.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Pic's?......

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Well I got the carrier and prop shaft out today.
    home made slide hammer and some heat.
    2 propane torches, one on each side and then banging on the slide hammer.
    broke the slide hammer tee handle, but got it moving.( apparently a bad weld job)
    Did not burn any paint, just heated until I saw bubbles coming out of the crack between carrier and housing( less that 300F according to an infrared gun on the upper painted half ).
    But then there is not much paint on the lower half of the area I was heating.
    but then the fog cleared off I I went fishing(or should I say boat riding) with the friend that was helping me.
    Bay water looked great, but only one hit on the lures we were throwing.
    and the sea fog was still hanging around over the water.

maybe I can get to cleaning it all up and ordering parts tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
    If it was me i'd pull the carrier, if you break it replace it. If you need heat use map gas, it will do the job.
    Yep going to pull it somehow.
    I do have a home made Propane burner that I light big BBQ pit wood stacks with if I need heat.
    or have a friend with a torch

my youngest son is a diesel mechanic in la.
    he could not get the carrier out of his C115 a few years ago so he took it to a shop close to him , they just picked the lower unit up and swung it down against a wooded bench with something soft to catch the prop shaft and carried when it popped out.
    I am not a fan of doing that, but we shall see.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Originally posted by panasonic View Post

I would do like Wally said and have a poke at it...see if you can get it back in place. Pull the little shift shaft seal carrier, get a good Brite flashlight and a straightened out coat hanger...nothing to lose at this point if it works.
    It is no where to be seen, I have looked all I see it the rod/pin thru the hole.
    so the carrier has to come out.
    may take a few days, but I will see about rigging up a slide hammer like Rod mentioned

Leave a comment:

• walleye1
    replied
    If it was me i'd pull the carrier, if you break it replace it. If you need heat use map gas, it will do the job.

Leave a comment:

• panasonic
    replied
    Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    I thought you told me to not mess with trying to pull the carrier do to using it in salt for 20 years.
    at least that is what I got out of your earlier post on this thread
    I would do like Wally said and have a poke at it...see if you can get it back in place. Pull the little shift shaft seal carrier, get a good Brite flashlight and a straightened out coat hanger...nothing to lose at this point if it works.

Leave a comment:

• rodbolt17
    replied
    I told you not to pull JUST the carrier.
    they tend to break.
    pull the PROP SHAFT AND CARRIER.
    I know I have done this over 30 yrs and most my procedures are not taught in Kennasaw. but they work and work well.
    you simply have to look at what needs to be done and realize the SM was not set up for untrained techs on 20+ yr old motors.
    but I do it every day.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    I thought you told me to not mess with trying to pull the carrier do to using it in salt for 20 years.
    at least that is what I got out of your earlier post on this thread

Leave a comment:

• rodbolt17
    replied
    why not simply disassemble it CORRECTLY,fix it and CORRECTLY reassemble it.
    in about the time I have spent reading 3 pages I pretty much could have had the unit apart and in the parts washer.
    my favorite extra money machine is you-tube. I can get creative on fixing it after the customer watch's a video.
    only issue with pulling the SHAFT and CARRIER is the shift mechanisim.
    if it pushes and pulls you can remove it later.
    if it rotates it must be pulled prior to propshaft removal.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    I was trying to pull the prop shaft, but it was not moving, and I did not think about sticking it back in after pulling the shift shaft seal housing and not being able to get the prop shaft carrier to come out.

is it possible to re-a line it when I cannot see it from up top?

maybe I need to do a little more moving the lower unit around to see if I can spot it.

Spent this morning going thru an active shooter training at my church today.
    hate to even think about that type of stuff, be all need to.

later today i zested a 5 gal bucket of Ponderosa lemons to make some Lemonchello and then juiced them to make some lemon wine . froze the juice for a later time, because I am getting older and am tired

Leave a comment:

• walleye1
    replied
    Why did you pull the shift shaft if you weren't going to pull the prop shaft? You can get it in there with a stiff
    peace of wire to line the shift cam.

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Part #51 moved on ya?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

Well, the bright side. Once done, it'll be completely re-sealed and last you a long time..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X