Brand new Yamaha 250 4 stroke failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new Yamaha 250 4 stroke failure

My buddy has a Yamaha 250 on his Grady White that has had a major failure at only 80 hours of use and less than a year old. He broke it in properly and had all servicing done by a Yamaha certified shop before the recommended service intervals. He said he heard major engine noises before shutting it down and limping back to port on his kicker. The shop cut open the oil filter at Yamaha's request and found metal fragments. My buddy is pretty upset considering how much he paid for the new motor and the fishing time he is losing. He does not yet have an answer from Yamaha on what or when anything will happen. If there is major engine internal damage, should he expect a new motor?

To answer the last question first, nope, he should not be expecting a new motor.

According to the warranty, Yamaha will correct the defect. The warranty does not provide for a new motor being furnished. More than likely your buddy will get a new block and heads. In essence, a completely new power plant.

Yes, it is frustrating having a motor fail after spending a lot of money for the darn thing, but that is life. Shit happens. Brand new stuff fails. Space shuttles blow up during launch. Space shuttles fall out of the sky. Fairly new airplanes get too low and crash into sea walls. Business jets crash on take off and kill seven people. In the scheme of things in life, an outboard motor failing is not a real problem.

Once the new block and heads are installed the motor will be as new. In this case, better than new since the original block had a problem of some sort that the replacement block won't have.

Comment

This will be litmus test for Yamaha Customer support. This is not the first time he has had an expensive ,big Yamaha fail him in the middle of salmon season on the north coast of California.
      I hope they go out of their way to help him as he is so meticulous with his boat maintenance.

Comment

only thing worse than a failure on an f250?

a failure on an f350.

I currently have an F250 on the bench, hope to have it done by lunch today, that is 5 yrs old with 492 hrs on it that Yamaha replaced the block assy due to an oil leak at the cranckcase.
        last week I did the heads and block on an F350 due to it failed to drain and froze last winter during storage.

stuff does happen.
        it happened to my wifes new ford exploder and my 6 month old ford ranger.

the speakers in my 2012 ford F150 are bad.

I aint crying its still under warrenty.

we wont even talk about my daughters brand new 0 mile 2012 ford fockus.
        yea that was an intentional typo.

I think I would rather have an Edsel or an optimax than that darn focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
          This will be litmus test for Yamaha Customer support. This is not the first time he has had an expensive ,big Yamaha fail him in the middle of salmon season on the north coast of California.
          I hope they go out of their way to help him as he is so meticulous with his boat maintenance.
          It is not a matter of Yamaha going out of their way to help. Being under warranty, they owe him a repair for his motor. They will make it right and better than new.

Yamaha is known for being customer friendly. Not to say they help all people for all times but certainly with respect to a motor in warranty they will do what is necessary to correct the problem. As quickly as it can be done, the dealer willing.

Comment

on the F250 I am finishing today?
            the oil leak was identified last Friday and the block ordered.
            got a new block Tuesday about 4pm.
            powerhead is ready to install this morning.
            best I can do for the customer.

Comment

Rodbolt I bet a lot of this guys don't know what and Edsel is.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Kruse View Post
                Rodbolt I bet a lot of this guys don't know what and Edsel is.
                That is what happens when we old bastards get older.

I use sayings and phrases that go right over the heads of the youngsters.

Won't be long and folks will wonder what a carburetor was. Or, points and dwell.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  That is what happens when we old bastards get older.

I use sayings and phrases that go right over the heads of the youngsters.

Won't be long and folks will wonder what a carburetor was. Or, points and dwell.
                  Don't forget about pouring Babbitt rod bearings and using machinists bluing and a 3 cornered scraper to smooth them out plus shims to fit them.

Comment

don't forget the way back machine.
                    or sometimes when you holler MR wizard, I don't wanna be a mechanic no more.
                    but I do know a few auto techs that have never worked on a carbed motor or seen points.

Comment

Rod, sounds to me you have a Ford issue,, probably gonna open a can of worms here, but you could not give me a ford..

Comment

All I have ever bought new or used were Fords, and still have one, but my Ex did a Chevy van( I do not claim that as something I bought, But had to pay for it) that was a major problem, but I got rid of it and her at the same time

Comment

That gave me a chuckle ^

Comment

my 2012 F150, so far has done ok.
                            I gotta replace the speakers soon.
                            my daughters 2012 focus, purchased the same day as my F150 is another story.
                            we did consult an attorney about the lemon law.

so far about 10 ECU reflash.
                            one transmission rebuild.
                            one transmission replacement.
                            one set of tires at 19000 miles.
                            two seatbelt latches.
                            sometimes the wont let you out.

for a car with less than 30K it sucks.

my wifes 2012 exploder has done ok so far but its due for a few TSBs and a couple recalls.

yall think Yamaha sucks, deal with an auto maker.

at least I remember when Jeannie was ***y with a bellybutton jewel.

Comment

I have heard about many 250 FS failures on bass boats, but Yamaha stood behind every single one, not new motors but the were fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X