12v on Ignition "Kill" wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v on Ignition "Kill" wire

150 TXRU. 1996 150 Saltwater Series Carb Motors.
    Starboard motor is fine. Port engine no spark on any cylinder. Swapped ECU/ignition coils from good motor. Still no spark.
    Have 12V on the white wire from ignition/kill switch with key on/engine off or cranking. I believe that is not good. Starboard motor has zero volts. Both motors' white wires ground with key off or kill lanyard pulled.
    Disconnected 9 pin connector (with white wire) at ECU, still no spark.
    I thought disconnecting the wire would eliminate the ignition/kill switch from the circuit.
    Any one have any suggestions? I have the manual and I'm picking up a DVA adapter to continue diagnostics.

There should be no voltage on the white wire.

Why not unplug the white wire only up at the key switch kill switch and see what happens?

Or, swap the key switch/kill switch from one motor to the other.

Comment

Unplugged white wire. Swapped ignition switches. Same no start. Found white wire and red (12v) wires rubbed through and shorted together in engine harness. I repaired the wires. Now white wire is zero volts, grounded with key off or kill switch lanyard out. Still no spark on any cylinder.
      Checked resistance and output (with DVA) of trigger/stator/crankshaft sensor. All within specs, and same as the good motor.
      Checked and cleaned all ground connections.
      Did I miss something simple?

Comment

Have you tried swapping ECU/ignition coils from good motor after repairing the control harness fault?

good luck

Comment

i BELIEVE on your motor you can unplug 10 pin at motor and remote start with brown at start relay
          this should isolate motor from harness/keyswitch

Comment

I belive jb123 is right.
            at key on engine off you wont see voltage.
            engine running you will see about 150+ volts.
            don't believe me, touch the white wire when its running.

Comment

yep, have heard of people getting shocked by touching the con*****er before due to the white wire.

Rod is it possible when his red wire put 12V + onto that white wire it hurt the CDI/ECU

Comment

its possible but probably not.
                that circuit has to handle charge coil output voltage.
                as charge coil output is in the 110-200 V range if 12V is applied it acts like its grounded.
                12V is a lot closer to a 0 potential than 110-200.
                remember voltage does NOT flow and is simply a measure of electrical "pressure"
                that's why its called a potential difference or electromotive force.
                on the CDI system the white wire is connected to the capacitors output.
                ground it and the caps now discharge into the ground or 0 potential.

Comment

Working...
                X