Tilt/Trim Switch replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt/Trim Switch replacement

I have a 1999 Yamaha 704 Binnacle Remote Control. Recently I'm having an intermittent problem with the motor not trimming down. When I trim up I can see the draw on my voltage gauge. When I try to trim down I see no response on the gauge when it fails to work. I suspect the tilt/trim switch is bad and ordered a replacement. The new switch, part 704-82563-41 does not fit the handle. The rocker is too wide to fit through. Trying to go in the other way, the tabs on the switch housing are too wide. I need to find the old switch part number and have had no luck with Yamaha dealers or their help line. And this is an original Yamaha control not a replacement.
    Attached Files

The older switch looks to be for a 703 control box.

Is your control box a top mount or side mount type?

Comment

Its a top mount just like the one pictured.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mark Glover; 06-03-2014, 12:35 AM.

Comment

The part number that fits this application is a 703-82563-12. The dealer I picked it up from even said the folks at Yamaha tried to argue with them claiming the other switch was the right one. Whether the folks at Yamaha know it or not it appears they used 703 parts on the 704 Binnacle for a while. I know, I own one that is original from the factory. This part number is now obsolete so when the last ones are gone thats it. You either have to purchase a different handle for the newer style switch or change the controls all together. Yamaha should step up and offer an upgrade for owners that are stuck with this setup.

Comment

What in the heck are you talking about. The part number you mentioned is still available from Yamaha. They are even in stock.

Boat Parts: 703-82563-12-00

Comment

Now that I think about it, which "Yamaha" was it that you talked to? If you are in the US then more than likely it is Yamaha USA. They are just a distributor for Yamaha Japan. They will only know about stuff that is provided by Yamaha Japan to them for the US market.

There are several different versions of 704 control boxes. Some may not even be sold here in the US. Maybe you have a control box that was not intended to be sold or used here in the US.

You are the original owner of the control box is that correct? Getting 13/14 years out of a control handle trim/tilt switch is pretty damn good service.

Comment

Yes, I am the original owner. The dealer was told by Yamaha here in the US that that part number is no longer available. They found it in a warehouse in Atlanta. And I can show you a number of boats in our area with the same controls, every Hurricane with a Yamaha of the same vintage has them. The man in the service dept had been through this before with Yamaha and knew they didn't have a clue.
              Last edited by Mark Glover; 06-07-2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

It is the Yamaha warehouse near Atlanta (Kennesaw, GA actually) that has the part. There are two other Yamaha warehouses in the US that have this part in stock.

Keep in mind that there are literally hundreds of different models of motors and rigging components that have been here in the US since 1984. There is no one person anywhere (even in Japan) that can possibly know about all parts that are used on all models of Yamaha motors.

You found the switch that you need. Be happy. Pity the poor fellow that knows exactly what switch he needs but it is no longer available. From anybody, from anywhere. At any price.

Comment

Working...
                X