F225 4 Stroke Smoking - Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 4 Stroke Smoking - Problem?

I've got a 2011 F225 motor with 85hrs on it. Motor and boat are new to me. The motor didn't smoke when I bought it, but now, after 4 trips it's smoking. This morning, when first start up in 42 degree weather, it looked like my old 2 stroke based on the amount of smoke it was blowing out. I'm going to monitor the oil level to see if burning oil, but could this be something serious that should be looked at ASAP and hold off on fishing trips? The motor runs fine, but there is way too much smoke for a 4 stroke. Boat still has about 50 gallons of fuel from last fall that had stabilizer added, but this smoking issue is new. Motor has extended warranty so everything should be covered, and with just 85 hours, it feels like there is some problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Is the motor left fully trimmed down? If so it may smoke at start up.

Try leaving it trimmed up a bit and see if the smoking stops.

Comment

bad fuel is not covered by warranty in case you run into that.

Have you checked the oil to see if it Is making oil?

What color is the smoke?
      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks, but motor is left fully trimmed up since boat is on a mooring. Other thoughts?

Comment

Thanks for advice on bad fuel/warranty. Should not be bad as near empty tank was filled to full in Oct of last year with stabilizer added, and the smoking problem didn't exist when I sea trialed and first ran the boat. Will check to see if making oil. Smoke is a blue/grey color.

Comment

Is it trimmed up soon after shut down to make sure the oil runs to the sump and not into the combustion chamber?

back from my auto days, white is water, blue is oil, and black fuel

Not sure what grey is
            Last edited by 99yam40; 05-30-2014, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X