2000 F80 CDI check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 F80 CDI check

I have a fried rectifier in my 2000 F80 and the CDI units cover has heat damage as well.

Is there a way to test the CDI unit?

The unit is so expensive i would rather be sure before changing it too.

The engine starts and runs normally and responds to revs normally. Have not really tested with above 3000 or running for more than 10 min. I had to sligthly adjust the idle screw (a quarter) higher after the scorching incident to prevent stalling of engine after prime starter stops. Bad sign yeah.

You'll need a DVA a adapter to test the CDI, test harness or paper clips intead

Have a look on attachments
    Last edited by almetelo; 06-15-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

This DVA goes a bit over my expertise and i lack this tool.

Is there any way to tell on how the engine is running the status of the cdi? Eg engine not starting at all or not running smoothly at all?

Comment

I donīt know any other way of test it with out a DVA adapter or true peak voltage reader

Comment

You might check to make sure idle timing is in spec.as I believe timing is con*****ed by CDI
          Should not have had to adjust idle speed after letting the smoke out incident.
          So something changed

If you want to see if voltages are in spec you have to measure with the proper test equipment

Comment

This happened to me a few years back on my F90. Regulator fired and took out the CDI and melted part of my air intake - had to "limp" back to dock. I didn't mess with and changed the CDI since I don't want to chance anything going wrong while I'm on the water in the Louisiana Swamps!

BTW - my Yamaha Mastertech handed me two wing nuts and stated that these just cost me $1,000........lesson learned to NEVER use wing nuts on your cranking battery. Doh!

Comment

Working...
            X