test old multifunction tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test old multifunction tach

I have an older model multifunction tach on a 1993 130hp. I think that it is a 6y5-83500-03-00. I am looking for a way to test the oil level lights and warning buzzer. The tach and trim level is working fine. I assume the warning lights simply light up when needed. Is there a warning buzzer for each color light? Can I test each light by moving float in oil tank? What does each light mean? If oil level is fine should the green light be on? I assume yellow is past a certain point in the oil tank. Does red come on when very low in big oil tank or low on reservoir on motor? do you know if there are any manuals on this gauge out there anywhere?
    thanks,
    GLS

Green means all is well with the oil system.

Yellow means the remote tank is low.

Red means the engine mounted tank is low. If the light goes red you should hear the buzzer sound and the motor will go into RPM reduction mode.

The warning buzzer is part of the key switch. It will sound even if the tachometer is not even installed.

To hear the warning buzzer remove the kill switch lanyard. Try and start the motor. It will crank but not start. Most Yams will sound the buzzer in this situation.

Remove the plastic sump from the engine tank and drain the oil. Reinstall and secure the sump. Make sure the remote tank is full. Turn the key on. The red light on the tachometer should illuminate. The buzzer should sound. The engine tank should start to fill with oil.

Go to Yamahas website and open an owners manual for a 130 Yamaha. Look at what it says about the oiling system. Don't worry that you can only go back to 1998. Other good information in there that you might want to know about.

Comment

Working...
    X