Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency cut off swithch

Hi there,
    Following on from my starting problems on my 60 hp 4 stroke carburettor 2002 model Yamaha.
    when testing start mechanism why does the pinion gera of the starter motor drop out when starting if the emergency kill switch is out. Sometimes it stays in and tries to crank other times it engages briefly and then drops out.

This is the problem i have on the water, i have an intermittent problem whereby sometimes the starter motor fails to stay engaged long enough to start motor and spins freely below fly wheel once disnegaged.
    i have replaced the starter motor but is still happens. All cables seem fine.

So troubleshhoting at the moment with emegency kill switch out. Shouldn't starter motor continue to spin fly wheel until i turn the key off with the emergency lanyard out? or should the starter disengage itself.

Regards

Kellaig

I sent a service manual to your email, check your email. No the kill switch has no affect on the starter, only the ignition, which it kills. The starter will continue to operate.

Mike........ Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Awesome information- i will let you know as an auto electrician is voltage drop testing the cables and battery tomorrow.

regards

Craig

Comment

Craig,
        I tested the voltage drop on my C115 and a neighbors 115 (both 2-stroke) for the starter - with fully charged batteries (approx 12.5 volts), I was reading 9.5 volts at the starter during cranking - a nominal 3 volt drop from the battery across the cables to the starter.
        You could relocate your starting battery near the motor and use heavy duty jumper cables and try cranking your motor to see if the pinion would stay engaged then. That would tell you if there is a voltage drop issue with the starter. Apply power directly to the starter, bypassing the cables and starter relay - could be a bad starter relay giving you intermittent poor connection.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X