2004 F150 Yamaha Starting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 F150 Yamaha Starting Issues

Hello all. I am new to the site and came here, like I'm sure most people, with an issue. I have recently purchased a tri-toon (2004 Aqua Patio) boat with a 2004 Four Stroke Yamaha outboard engine. I have had it out a few times and the engine runs great. Last weekend, I went to start the motor and all I got was a clicking from the starter. The solenoid engages in the flywheel, but will not turn the motor. Here is a list of things I have done:

Tapped starter to see if it would free up.
    Changed batteries.
    Checked voltages at the starter, they are good.
    Had starter bench tested and found to be good.
    Checked all fuses, on boat and motor, all good.
    Checked all connections, they are free of corrosion and have definate good contact.

I removed the starter and did some looking around, and after replacing the starter one time, the motor started right up. It started the next four times without hesitation and ran great, then went back to the same trick. It clicks, engages the solenoid, but will not turn the motor.

I'm not sure if this is a ground issue, or is there something else I can look at? I am pretty mechanically and electrically inclined, but this one is flustrating me and I haven't worked on many outboard motors. The fact that the issue is not consistant is what troubles me. I don't want to get it started, then have it not start the next time and be stranded without finding a definate issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or things to try, I am definatley open. I will be going back to the lake in a few weeks and wanted a small handful of things to try and inspect to resolve this before I take it to the professionals and spend a pretty penny. Thanks all and anyone with help.

Joe H.
    Last edited by Hegen7669; 05-28-2014, 02:34 PM.

If I had a bad solenoid, I don't think the starter would engage the flywheel. The starter and solenoid both check out ok.

Comment

testing with a voltmeter to see if there is a problem getting the proper voltage to everything is what I would do.
      Burnt contact inside relay/solenoid are a posibility, makeing sometimes and sometimes not.
      Bad connections or bad cable maybe

Comment

Working...
      X