No announcement yet.

2 out of 3 Carburetors Flooding-HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 out of 3 Carburetors Flooding-HELP!!

I am working hard to get my boat back in the water. The engine is a 1997 Yamaha C80TLRV 80HP. Since the boat sat 2 years, I drained the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in along with sta-bil and Seafoam. Also put new plugs and rebuilt the 3 carburetors. This morning, I cranked the engine but it is hitting on just 1 cylinder, which is the top cylinder. The carburetors on cylinders 2 and 3 have gas leaking out of the front of the carburetor. Carburetor 1 does not. I have:
    1. Checked both floats of carburetors 2 and 3 to make sure they are not leaking.
    2. Made certain the correct O-Ring has been installed on the valve seat.
    3. Cleaned all the passages with Carburetor cleaner.
    4. Rebuilt the carburetors with new seals, O-rings, etc

Would appreciate it if someone can tell me what I am missing? I have not checked to make sure I am getting spark on cylinders 2 and 3 but that would not cause fuel to accumulate in the carburetors I don't think.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Update: I just checked and I do have spark on all 3 cylinders. In the process of removing and disassembling the bottom 2 carburetors and soaking in Laquer Thinner.

Comment

It sounds as if the floats aren't seating fully.

Just pay real close attention when puting on the bowl gasket that it DOESN'T interfere with the float movement.

Once re-assembled, you should be able to physically blow thru the fuel line outlet with the carb in its normal position(float is open, hanging down).

If you flip the carb over (float should be closed), you should NOT be able to blow thru it (needle seat is fully closed-normal)
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I am going to remove the carb from the lacquer thinner and reassemble. Will make sure gasket does not interfere with float and try blowing into supply line. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by fishfun83 View Post
          I am going to remove the carb from the lacquer thinner and reassemble. Will make sure gasket does not interfere with float and try blowing into supply line. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks,

If you haven't already, pull the jets out (that isn't your issue) and make sure you can see light thru them.

Just blowing or soaking won't necessarily clean out any varnish, crap, etc..

Good luck
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            If you haven't already, pull the jets out (that isn't your issue) and make sure you can see light thru them.

Just blowing or soaking won't necessarily clean out any varnish, crap, etc..

Good luck
            Yep. All the jets are clear and clean. I pulled off one of the flooding carburetors and could blow air through it when it was upside down. I took it apart and simply reassembled. That seemed to fix the problem on 1 of the 2 carburetors. I am not being so luck on the last one. Seems like the float tab, which is plastic, is not sitting on top of the needle. Definitely not the O-Ring as I can press down on the needle with my finger and no air comes through. I will keep plugging away. Maybe something I try, short of buying another float, will work.[/I]

Comment

Got it running like a champ!!! I just kept fiddling with the way the float was installed and finally came across a winner. Seems like it is better to seat the float shaft with your finger and tighten the retainer screw rather than let the retainer screw do the tightening if the shaft. I really don't understand why this worked but it did. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Most floats, where it attaches to the needle, has TWO "EDGES" if you would.

Sometimes the needle will have a really fine "u" shaped wire that does the same thing, it'll grab the needle should it get stuck up inside the carb body (and hopefully pull the needle open with the weight of the float itself).

One edge actually is the part that touches the needle, the other edge fits "OUTSIDE" and prevents it from hanging up, if that makes sense.

If installed correctly, the float seam will about be parallel with the carb body while upside side.

If its running good now, you probably got the floats back where they belong.

BTW, re removing the jets, some have very, very small holes going HORIZONTAL thru the jet, that's besides the one you may look thru or blow thru. If those horizontal holes are clogged (it'll still blow thru), the engine still won't run right. That's why its so critical to actually remove the jets, look for any holes running sudeways, and make sure their open. The smaller the engine, the smaller the openings, the easier to clog as well..

Congrates!
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-28-2014, 04:49 PM.
                Scott

Comment

cause the first attepmts you did not get the float hinge pin in correctly.
                  if you don't hold it in the groove while tightening the retainer it tends to ****.

Comment

Working...
                  X