No start / no tilt F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start / no tilt F115

Hi, I have a 2007 Wellcraft 180 with F115 outboard. It always runs fine and starts right up always even after long winter storage. Yesterday after a long 80 degree day of boating with a few off/on cycles, I docked normally, got boat on trailer. But when I attempted to tilt up the motor, all I hear is a relay click in the motor. I also tried to crank the motor and nothing happens. My horns still works loudly. After sitting for a few hours in my driveway, I can tilt and crank the motor as strong as normal. I already made sure the battery cables are tight and the battery is less than 3yrs old. Can someone advise where my point of failure may be? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by puwit321 View Post
    Hi, I have a 2007 Wellcraft 180 with F115 outboard. It always runs fine and starts right up always even after long winter storage. Yesterday after a long 80 degree day of boating with a few off/on cycles, I docked normally, got boat on trailer. But when I attempted to tilt up the motor, all I hear is a relay click in the motor. I also tried to crank the motor and nothing happens. My horns still works loudly. After sitting for a few hours in my driveway, I can tilt and crank the motor as strong as normal. I already made sure the battery cables are tight and the battery is less than 3yrs old. Can someone advise where my point of failure may be? Thanks in advance!
    Do you have a "Perko" type battery on/off switch in the boat? Its not unusual to have the contacts inside get crappy or loosen up.

Sounds like you do have a connection but a crappy one as when you apply a heavy load (cranking or T&T) is when you have the issue.

Besides checking the tightness of the cables as well, look for any corrosion at the battery cable ends...

Please post your results..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My boat does not have one of those Perko master on/off switches. The factory cables are tight and no corrosion on the battery posts. I'm wondering where or what I can check for under the cowling. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Well those were the most likely causes, plan "b":

Get that battery load tested (its free at most auto parts stores).

I usually don't get more than 3 years out of my group 27 (large battery), so it could be nearing its end and have an internal short coming and going with heat, bouncing, etc.

If that pans out fine, follow the battery cables under the cowl, disconnect and clean (don't just look at them). where they bolt to (I would disconnect at the battery just for safety reeasons). Corrosion likes to hide under under cable ends and you can't see tightness of fasteners..

If all that passes, someone else will have to chime in as IDK...

Please post what you find and good luck..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That's good advice. I think I will go with the easiest to replace component, the battery, and check all cables. It was kept in the boat outside the last two winters, although I had a solar trickle float charger connected at all times. So maybe this past long cold winter in NY wasn't too kind to it. Thanks alot.

Comment

Working...
          X