F225 Yamaha 4 stroke tilt problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 Yamaha 4 stroke tilt problems

My engine got stuck twice in the elevated position two days in a row. The tilt worked fine up until I raised the engine in shallow water and then nothing. I could hear the solenoid (sp) click at the engine. checked all the fuses (under helm and on engine) all good.

I was able to get out to deeper water and increase RPM and the bow shot up out of the water after a 30 seconds or minute I was then able to lower the tilt and the raise and lower worked fine on the outboard no problem. Then worked fine rest of afternoon. Then it did the exact same thing the next day. It seemed to start working when the engine was operating at an increase RPM; it might take a try or two to get on plane then it would work

When I was operating the title with the engine off it sounded very labored when I used the manual switch on the outboard; almost like out of power.

Any ideas? I was thinking the solenoid may be going bad or my battery is not good. The batter is less than a year old.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

title sticking

I haven't topped off the fluids not check the level; I will do so and get back with you. To my fault, I have never checked the fluids on the tilt; I am the original owner and the engine has just over 1000 hours. Is there a better fluid to put in it? I have the bottle adapter I use for the power steering fluid I can use; it is average size and should fit good enough to fill.

I have F225 '05; single.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Have you ever had a TPS sensor problem? Sometimes my engine will not accelerate and bog down then slowly get on plane and the RPMs increase. Otehr times it will shoot out on plane as if nothing is wrong. I used to have ethanol based fuel in it, but haven't in over a year now.

I was told it very well may be the TPS sensor; I just don't know how to test it.
    Last edited by weschott71; 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the information; I wasn't aware of using standard tranny fluid; I like the idea of using the stop leak as well. Thank you for that.

I must be completely nieve; I never knew you could buy the YDS for the engine and use a laptop; I don't have the money to take it to the Yard for all the little things. I do all the annuals and maintanence I can. I have the manual for the engine and done several repairs over the years, i.e. LP fuel pump, water pump, spark plugs, fluids, F/W separator, HP fuel filter.

I will look into the YDS system; they appear to average around 60-80 bucks on Ebay and other sites.

I would really love to see the output of my systems on the engine gotta be an eye opener.

I am assuming the TPS sensor as it has happened at all levels of RPM; sometime I can't even get above 1900; then later same day it will go right on plane; like you I don't accelerate fast all the times; I know my optimal operating range and seldom go over 4200 RPM. I did have water in the tank, but believe it is all gone. I drain the F/W filter all the time. I think it gets water in because I just can't fill it up. (100 gallon tank; $4.20 ethanol free fuel is tough for me now.)

Thank you very much for the input.

Comment

found the issue I believe.

I found out the power cable that comes out of the cowli g and plugs into the tilt assembly I assume is the power cable and tells it up or down is my problem. I just cant find any schematics on the assembly because I have to remove a tubing (metal) that runs from the pump to lift that covers up the screws to the plug. I was abe to wiggle it and able to operate the tilt all day until it stops again. So I just use the tilt switch on the motor and wigle again and it works. I am thinki gof removing it and either replacing the whole cable or cleaning and securing the cable.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
        X