Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 s250txrw high speed miss

Hello,
    I have a little problem that I have searched for answers but have not had any luck. I have a 1998 S250TXRW I think this is an OX66 but not for certain. I have a high speed miss/skip. If I keep the RPMs around 3600 it is not very bad but it is still there. It also seems to load up when I am just idling in gear. I will sometimes get a kick back and it will shut off the motor. But it cranks back up immediately. As long as I give it some throttle it picks up and runs fine any time it starts to load up. It has plenty of power to get on plane and I can get top RPMs without any issue. It just misses/skips once I am at the higher RPMS.

Here is a little history and what I have done. I bought the boat last year and used it most of the season without any problems. It was not until the end of the season when I started having issues. I searched on multiple forums and performed a good bit of the basics. I changed the spark plugs, checked the caps for proper resistance, check the ohms on the O2 sensor and cleaned the tube, changed the T-stats and changed the low pressure fuel pumps. All the problems seemed to start when I put the red enzyme (Stabil) in the tank for Ethanol. I went offshore that day and the motor performed flawlessly, we sat on the fishing spot for the day and then on our way in about half way back it started to miss/skip. Someone told me that the red would eat the low pressure pumps. So when I checked them sure enough they were leaking. Maybe it was all just a coincidence. The other thing is when I changed the plugs I notice that the port side bank had a couple of the plugs that looked like rust/corrosion. I did not think much of it at the time.

Well the beginning of this season I went to take the boat out for a ride with the wife and the motor would not turn over. I pulled the heads and the port side was rusted tight. The bottom 2 cylinders looked like it had water intrusion. So I pulled the powerhead and rebuilt the motor. The motor was very wore out so I am glad I had to rebuild it. It was standard pistons, but the machine shop said there was .030" of wear.

So after the rebuild I took it out and I am still having the loading up and high speed miss problem. I have since changed the VST filter thinking it could be that. Took it out this weekend still the same problem.

I surfaced the heads during the rebuild cause of the water intrusion problem. I am wondering if there could be water getting in from somewhere else. The plugs look fine now, but I am wondering if my miss is from water and not something else.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas would be great. I have not checked the fuel pressure at the rail yet. That is my next step. Other than that I am not sure what to do.

Thanks,
    -Barry

Any ideas? I could really use some direction if anyone can help.
    Thanks,
    -Barry

Comment

Working...
    X