How to adjust carb floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to adjust carb floats

I have a 2001 Yamaha 100hp 4 stroke. I rebuilt the carbs with OEM kits and now when I prime the fuel bulb they flood. Fuel is flowing out of all 4 carbs. Is there a way to adjust the floats? Is it possible that all 4 needle valves are defective? If this has already been answered please direct me as I couldn't find the answer anywhere. Thank you in advance!

Sounds like their NOT assembled correctly. Depending on the float bowl gasket, it may be holding the float needle valves open.

I would NOT adjust those floats yet.

Pull them apart again and check.

Literally BLOW thru the fuel line into the carb and flip upside down. It should stop all air flow if correct. Flip carb back to normal, (floats open), should blow thu..

Please post what you find..

Good luck
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

not all Yamaha floats are adjustable.
      if the float has a metal tang that rests on the needle it can be adjusted.
      if its a plastic tang it cannot.

Comment

according SM should be... have look on attachment.
        My guess is with FJR 1300 (love that bike) lol
        Last edited by almetelo; 06-15-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
          according SM should be... have look on attachment.
          My guess is with FJR 1300 (love that bike) lol
          Great link!

__________________________________________________ ___________
          Don't have the FJR anymore BTW, just an FZ6 (pretty quick too)

my old 04 FJR 1300:

Current ride, 07 Yamaha FZ6 (600cc, 95HP, 14,000k red line):

Scott

Comment

Congrats for the bikes!
            The FZ6 is a nice bike but FJR 1300 is on the top of my choice.
            However I'm happy with my maxi scooter Yamaha X-MAX but to tell you the truth I don't like scooters very much but is much more pratical because of the stowage and for me or my wife sometimes go to work (mainly in summer season) does the job.

I'm not even a real biker.

Good luck with you FZ6 Both look beautiful and appeard to be very well cared

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
              Congrats for the bikes!
              The FZ6 is a nice bike but FJR 1300 is on the top of my choice.
              However I'm happy with my maxi scooter Yamaha X-MAX but to tell you the truth I don't like scooters very much but is much more pratical because of the stowage and for me or my wife sometimes go to work (mainly in summer season) does the job.

I'm not even a real biker.

Good luck with you FZ6 Both look beautiful and appeard to be very well cared
              Thank you!!
              Scott

Comment

Aloha and thanks for the replies! I will pull the carbs this week and inspect. After hearing the replies I believe that the floats need to be adjusted. I'm guessing the new floats and needles are not exact OEM replace and go. I'll post once I find the issue.
                Thanks,
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by KillerB309 View Post
                  Aloha and thanks for the replies! I will pull the carbs this week and inspect. After hearing the replies I believe that the floats need to be adjusted. I'm guessing the new floats and needles are not exact OEM replace and go. I'll post once I find the issue.
                  Thanks,
                  Brian
                  There should be a measurement of where they need to be. Don't ask me where to find it, maybe someone else knows.
                  You could compare your old ones to the new ones.

Comment

problem fixed

Thank you all for the help! I took the carbs off today and after comparison to the old float needles I found the problem. In the rebuild kit there is a little plug that goes in the top of the float needle. With this in place it stops the fuel flow when the float goes up. For me, there was no adjustment needed. Running like a champ now.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerB309 View Post
                      Thank you all for the help! I took the carbs off today and after comparison to the old float needles I found the problem. In the rebuild kit there is a little plug that goes in the top of the float needle. With this in place it stops the fuel flow when the float goes up. For me, there was no adjustment needed. Running like a champ now.
                      Excellent! Enjoy!
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-01-2014, 06:04 AM.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X