2001 225hp OX66 RPMS fluctuating for no apparent reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 225hp OX66 RPMS fluctuating for no apparent reason

My Father has a 2001 225hp OX66 outboard. He kept it on the lift this winter on Mobile Bay, where it rarely gets below freezing, but he did nothing to winterize it during the 7 months or so since it last ran. (He is 72 and is not able to keep all his toys properly maintained). It had a half a tank of fuel when he put it up in October. We were in town this weekend for the maiden voyage and the motor started fine and seemed to run fine, but it would be running at 2000 RPM, seemingly very smoothly, then it would surge to 2600 RPM as if you moved the throttle forward. It would run like this for a while, then drop back to 2000, then repeat a few minutes later. It seemed to clear up as the day went on, but the next day it happened again throughout the few hours we were running it. It usually maxes out at 5,000 RPM but would only go to 4,000 and would run there for a few minutes, then later surge to 5,000. Throughout this, the engine does not appear to be missing. It runs very smoothly and will run for several minutes before it will jump or fall.

I am leaning towards a fuel filter or other fuel issue being the culprit, but I did notice there appears to be a part of a wasp nest at the top of the motor in the vent on the front. The motor was running when I noticed it so I didn't pull the cover off to explore. Could it be that this is blocking the air intake? I would like some tips on what to tell him to check, or to check myself on the next trip there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Obviously get rid of any creatures living there.

If the fuel is more than a month old and especially if NO STABILIZER used, it needs to be dumped and replaced with fresh, preferably NON-Ethonol.

Yamaha makes a product called "Ringfree". Its fairly expensive (about $50 a quart) but works EXTREMLY WELL at cleaning out the fuel system. You can get smaller bottles too.

I just used it in a chipper shredder yesterday that was misfiring (8HP engine). Within 10-15 minutes, the misfire was GONE. Well worth the investment IMO..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X