Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect F115 to NMEA 2000

Hi!

I have the following problem: I have a new F115 (2013) and a command link hub (currently with no free device connector; I have installed the 2 Yamaha gauges and the security system) and a Raymarine a78 plotter.
    I want to bring the engine data on the a78 display. Therefore I have to convert the command link to NMEA 2000. I have already bought the 0120-37 cable, because it is not easily possible to buy the MAR-GTWAY-ML-09 from Yamaha ... rather impossible here in Europe.
    Can I connect the 0120-37 also directly to the command link hub? What is the difference between the 0120-37 and the MAR-GTWAY? Does anybody know it?

This afternoon, I have tried the following: I disconnected the security system to the free place on the command link hub. Then I put the 0120-37 on it and on the other side I put the NMEA 2000 connector to a special Seatalk NG network from Raymarine which provides a NMEA 2000 connector. And, it was possible to see the engine data on the a78 display.
    BUT, unfortunately I had the following sideeffects:
    a) In one of the Yamaha gauges the engine symbol flashes. I think this is why the security system was disconnected. This can be resolved if I will buy an other command link hub to provide a free device connector on the hub.
    b) The Yamaha gauges were already on after turn on of the battery switch, which ignition still off. For this behavior I have currently no explanation.

What do you say? Am I on the right way, or is the connection of the 0120-37 directly to the command link hub not possible?

Regards, Helmut

Your NMEA 2000 network is powered correct? If so, what is the power source? I think that power is being fed from the NMEA 2000 network back to the Command Link hub and then on to the gauges. You can remove one of the power pins in the Lowrance cable in which case the NMEA 2000 network will no longer back feed electrical power to the hub. Only data will flow. Of course if you power the NMEA 2000 network from the key switch then no power will be provided to either circuit when the key switch is off. In this event you will not have engine data to a powered MFD but do you really need it if the motor is not running?

Try replacing the Y-COP device and remove one of the two gauges, but not the tachometer. Then, install the Lowrance 0120-37 into the device port from which the gauge was removed. Does the Y-COP icon still flash in the tachometer or did it stop?

Many are using the 0120-37 to provide engine data from a CL hub to an NMEA 2000 network. It all depends upon how it is wired as to whether the gauges will be powered by the network. One of the functions of the gateway is to prevent this.

Have you made any changes to the resistors that are used in both the NMEA 2000 network and the CL network? Usually only two resistors are used, one at each end of the combined networks. If you simply use the 0120-37 cable you may have four resistors in the circuit. Two in the CL network and two in the NMEA 2000 circuit. May or may not be a problem.

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply!

a) The back feeding of the power via the NMEA 2000 network will cause this behavior, since the NMEA parts are directly powered from the battery (via switch and fuses). I will check this tomorrow (cut the red wire, or?).

b) I will also remove a gauge (not the TACH) and will try it again with installed Y-COP.

c) I have not changed anything on the network resistors. Is this ok so?

Question: If it will work in this way, is there any risk to damage something on/in the engine?

Regards
      Helmut

Comment

So, today I tried it again.

Preparation: I cutted the red wire and disconnected the Speed Fuel gauge.

Result: No flashing engine symbol, no power up of the gauges w/o ignition. I think it works.

But today, I was not able to read fuel status and oil pressure on the plotter. Can the missing gauge cause this Problem, or not. Because yesterday I saw the fuel status on my plotter.

regards

Comment

An F115 does not have an oil pressure sensor. It has a switch only. So, you will not see oil pressure on a chart plotter. Or, on your CL tachometer either.

Not sure what you mean by "fuel status". What are you expecting to see?

Comment

With "fuel status" I meant the fuel gauge. Yesterday I saw a fuel gauge on my plotter with a red needle which showed me my current tank capacity. Today I didn't see the red needle.

But currently, I also do not understand the function of the NMEA 2000 or CL in detail. Does the engine delivers all of it data (w/o to be asked for) into the CL network? Or does the engine delivers only that data, which are requested by the gauges?

Regards

PS: hope my english knowlegde is sufficient

Comment

Your English just fine. Much better than my Spanish which I am struggling to learn.

Each Yamaha engine provides whatever data that it has available to the Command Link network. In some cases, an MFD is not able to decode and display that data. For example, some Yamaha motors output Y-COP (theft prevention) status data but the MFD is not designed to receive and display this data. The question why not needs to be answered by the MFD maker.

Certain model Yams provide oil pressure data and some don't. Some provide water pressure data and some don't. If the engine does not provide the data then it won't show up on an MFD even if the MFD can display that data. Oil pressure information in your engine's case.

The F115 outputs fuel consumed data in the form of gallons per hour, liters per hour, etc. This should be shown on your gauge.

Some MFD's can emulate a tank quantity gauge. The MFD is told the size of the tank. It knows how much fuel is used over the course of time (say ten gallons an hour for three hours for a total of 30 gallons) and will subtract that amount of fuel from whatever it thinks the size of the tank is. I think this must be the "fuel gauge" of which you are speaking.

Comment

Yesterday, I have got my Yamaha parts, CL hub and cable. Today, I tried it out, it works fine. The only confusing thing is, that if i turn on the ignition, I get some warnings on the plotter display, most of them "unkown error". Is this ok or not?

regards

Comment

Working...
                X