Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 1998 25 HP MSHW

Yamaha 1998 25 HP MSHW
    Having a little trouble doing the initial carb and ignition settings to get my motor correct after changing over from tiller to remote. The cover calls for idle timing at 5 degrees ATDC and full advance at 25 BTDC. My service manual is an early version and does not appear to match up exactly. Can someone help me with some information and what the values should be and a little clarification on the order of the settings.

Manual call for setting.
    Full advanced ignition timing = 25 BTDC (think is correct)
    Full retard ignition = 7 ATDC (should it be 5 ?)
    Carburetor pickup timing = 3 ATDC (should it be 1 ? )

Appreciate any help and hints.
    Last edited by RIPSAWSBOAT; 05-26-2014, 02:46 PM.
    RIPSAW

Not sure why an adjustment needs to be made following conversion from tiller to remote but here you go:

Last edited by boscoe99; 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

***...Thank you but not sure that is correct?
      Note that you gave me a 3 cylinder and mine is a 2 cylinder (MSHW). The spec are what is in my manual except the idle air screws are 2 +/- 3/4 and I know for sure it takes 2 1/2 turns to get it to idle. Someone had got it all screwed up before I got it and had the motor jacked up 1 1/2" above the transom of the 16' flat bottom Carolina skiff . It came up good but cavitations was a problem and if you let it slide out in a turn, it would spin around 90 degrees and head straight into the direction you where turning from. The cavitations however was what was helping it get up I think. When I added the remote steering and remote control (separate throttle/shift), I dropped motor back down on transom. When I converted it to the remote, I set the WOT setting with the stop in the remote throttle so the throttle roller stopped on the cam arrow indicator. There is limited adjustmen in the remote for the beginning except in the cable length and it is actually going a little too far back. I am a little confused here. Like you said, I thought all the other should fall into place. However, it suddenly had no bottom end and struggled to get up. After checking it all, it appeared to have way too much advance and I carefully went thru the procedure of the full set up. I replaced the throttle roller since there was a flat worn on it which was throwing that setting off by about 5 degrees since it only rolled till it hit the flat and then again as it rolled over the top part of the cam just before the WOT arrow. I also got the carb overhaul kits and fuel pump rubber parts from boats.net and rebuilt them. All looks good since motor has few hours and compression is 100+ Do you have the specs for a 2 cylinder? Since the Motor Idle timings calls for 5 ATDC, should the pickup timing be 5 degrees since that is where idle is set? I see that is what the 3 cyl is and that is what I figured for mine. Is the 3 at the pick up to get the compensation for getting the 750 idle with the idle screw since that changes the setting slightly? Guess my last does not make a lot of sence I do not see the full retard ignition timing setting on the 3 cyl. Thanks again for the quick comeback.
      Last edited by RIPSAWSBOAT; 05-26-2014, 04:56 PM.
      RIPSAW

Comment

I did not go and verify which type motor you have. I just used the first set of data I came to.

The page listed has been changed.

Comment

Thank you. I really appreciate that. Got my service manual off ebay. It says 98 but after doing a little checking appears to be a 1997 Lit 18616-01-55
          Last edited by RIPSAWSBOAT; 05-26-2014, 08:15 PM.
          RIPSAW

Comment

Working...
          X