Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha mechanic stripped my brothers lower unit drain plug on an F150

So who's responsible for the repair?

He stores the boat in a rack at an authorized Yamaha factory dealer / repair center. He's kept it there for the last 5 years and they have done all the work on it (which he pays through the nose for) including the winterization last fall which included changing the lower unit oil.

This spring before the boat was launched it was discovered that the lower unit plug was stripped and leaking oil. The dealer claims he did not strip it and it must have been a factory defect that they didn't notice when they put it away last fall.

The dealer is very apologetic and said he'd give him a special deal on the repair but he just got the bill and he's charging $1822 parts plus 1 hour labor at $150. I see in the parts section the lower casing cost a little under $800 so I'm at a loss as to what he's thinking.

I told my brother to get an itemized list of parts and tell the yard not to discard the old parts because I want a Yamaha rep to look at it. I also told him to spit in his eye and tell him he's a thief but I doubt he'll do it, any other ideas besides calling Judge Judy?

Well, as Judge Judy would say (I watch her religiously) the burden of proof is on your brother.

Let's assume the oil pan is stripped. Did the threads just wear out or did someone over tighten and strip them. If they were stripped from over tightening how can it be proven who did it. I think Judge Judy would throw your brother out of court based on lack of evidence.

This is no big deal. Happens quite a bit actually. Either get a longer drain plug and install it. I believe there are unused threads available in the oil pan. Better still, just install a helicoil and be done with it.

Maybe its me, but I would never open up a motor just because of a leaking oil drain plug. Too much risk of other stuff going wrong.

Spit in the dealers eye? Hope your brother is a bit more level headed than you appear to be.

Don't mess with the oil drain plug again. Start having the oil extracted from the motor using an oil pump.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

find a new mechanic and dealer

Comment

tap and helicoil it, it will be stronger the factory. I have built many race 2 stroke motors, we helicoil all head bolts and any suspect threads. It will be a permanent repair. I hope he didn't pay that bill!

Don C

Comment

somebody is stupid or nuts.

that's why I am careful.
          however dumbass techs can cross thread stuff as can customers.
          takes 10 min to modify a heli coil to fit a drain or fill plug.
          2 min more to heli coil that engine oil drain plug.

goes back to incompetent techs.

Comment

Boscoe, Thank you for your response.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Well, as Judge Judy would say (I watch her religiously) the burden of proof is on your brother.
            This is why I've asked for the old lower unit and I will ask a Yamaha rep to take a look at it.

Let's assume the oil pan is stripped. Did the threads just wear out or did someone over tighten and strip them. If they were stripped from over tightening how can it be proven who did it. I think Judge Judy would throw your brother out of court based on lack of evidence.
            The dealer has done all the work on the boat for the last 5 years and after they winterized it last fall they put the boat 30' in the air on a rack, who else could have stripped it and how could they not have noticed?

This is no big deal. Happens quite a bit actually.
            A $2100 bill isn't a big deal? I change my own oil, when I do I crank that screw as tight as I can and never had an issue.

Either get a longer drain plug and install it. I believe there are unused threads available in the oil pan. Better still, just install a helicoil and be done with it.
            If those are viable repairs why wouldn't the realer have suggested them?

Spit in the dealers eye? Hope your brother is a bit more level headed than you appear to be.
            Obviously I'm just venting but this tells me you must be a dealer mechanic.

Comment

Ex aircraft mechanic. One reason why I got out of the field is cause I could work on a nose gear for example. Flaps might then fail. Customer would surmise that I damaged his flaps when I never got anywhere near them. Yes, your mechanic touched the drain plug but maybe he did not strip it. Just maybe.

The dollar amount quoted to you is a big deal. Not only is it a big deal. It is a big waste of time and money.

My comments related to the installation of a Helicoil to repair the stripped threads. This is the no big deal part.

Again I say, maybe the threads just wore out. No way of knowing for sure. That is why Judge Judy would dismiss this case if presented to her. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Nut View Post
                I change my own oil, when I do I crank that screw as tight as I can and never had an issue.
                Please don't tell us that you don't use a torque wrench and that you really don't "crank that screw as tight as I can". By the way, the torque specification for the lower unit is but 6.6 lb-ft. That value can be exceeded with a screw driver in someones hand.

And I apologize for misreading the original post. I thought it was the oil pan drain plug. I now recognize it is the lower unit drain plug. Still the same. Install a Helicoil.

Sounds like the dealer is offering a brand new lower unit at his cost. Pretty damn nice of the dealer I would say. Spit in his eye? I would shake his hands.

Last edited by boscoe99; 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

heli coil kit, 55 bucks.
                  takes 2 min to shorten the standard coil to fit the lower unit.
                  takes 4 min to tap and install the coil.
                  takes 3 min to refill the case with oil.
                  no need to replace a gearcase over a stripped hole.

its a standard 8x1.25mm thread.
                  no need to remove or disassemble the case just to heli coil a thread.

Comment

Is there any concern about metal shavings from the tap damaging the gears? Is this going to cause issues in the future when changing the oil or compromise the integrity of the seal?

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

use grease on the tap and it traps the shavings.

I personnaly have never stripped one but I do 5-6 a year.

seems some folks get ham fisted and cross thread them.

the standard coil is about 4 threads to long and must be shortened.

ONLY way to strip that thread is either a very dang good screwdriver or it got cross threaded.

the factory defect thang don't fly.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

the factory defect thang don't fly.
                        But it always has to be the fault of someone else.

Used to be we had a term "shit happens".

Now the customer blames it on the dealer, the dealer blames it on the factory (Yamaha), Yamaha blames it on the casting maker, the casting maker blames the aluminum producer, the aluminum producer blames the mine that dug up the bauxite, etc., etc.

Now in our government we have all sorts of stuff happening all of the time (latest is the VA debacle) and no one gets blamed for anything.

Comment

If thier the ONLY ONES working on it for the LAST FIVE YEARS how would your brother be responsible for it??

If it was a factory defect that didn't arise for YEARS LATER(which is BS), Yamaha should pick up the tab..

Its pretty obvious the last tech that serviced it screwed it up...

You have to lean pretty damn hard on that drain screw to strip it. I get it good and snug, no torque wrench on it (new gasket everytime).. Someone screwed up down there big time...

Re crap after any machining, if you put a smaller hose into your LU oil pump hose, you CAN PUMP oil in from the top hole and flush out any and all crap that may enter the lower unit.
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-24-2014, 09:34 AM.
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any update?
                            Stanley Islander 19, 2006 Yamaha F150TLRC. Ottawa, Canada
                            16' York River, 1986 Yamaha PRO 50.

Comment

Working...
                            X