yellow oil warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yellow oil warning light

1992 200 has the Yellow oil warning light on however oil still pumps to the engine oil tank. The Yellow light is on and if I drain the engine tank the oil pump will feel it back up, I also can feel it up with the manual over ride switch. If I drain the engine tank the red light does come on and alarm goes off.

After all else fails, consult you owner's manual.

Comment

I used the manual. The sensor in the oil tank ohms out ok and the tank is full of oil

Comment

which sensor did you test?
        Remote tank or the one on motor?

Comment

remote tank. According to the manual the yellow light is triggered by the oil sensor in the remote tank. The red light is triggered by the oil sensor in the engine tank.

Comment

If all systems are working normally even with the yellow light on (I think you said that the automatic transfer system works) then I am going to guess that perhaps there is a wiring problem to the tachometer.

The sensor switch in the remote tank is normally closed when the float is up (oil in the tank) and provides a ground to the CDI/ECU/Oil module and the ground to the tachometer for the warning light. If and when the float drops the switch opens and removes a ground.

The switch is apparently working and telling the CDI that there is sufficient oil in the remote tank for auto transfer to occur. But, maybe the ground from the switch is not getting to the tachometer, in which case the yellow light will illuminate.

Check the connections in the trim/oil harness at the tachometer. Check the connections to the trim/oil harness in the engine pan.

Comment

By the way, it appears that the green wire with the black tracer is the wire that applies the ground to the gauge to turn off the yellow light.

Comment

before I faulted the tach I would check circuit continuity.
                over the years between the splice on the blk/red wire under the hood Yamaha has used green/blk,green and green/white between the engine and the tach to supply a ground path to illuminate the green lamp.
                remove this ground path and the tach illuminates the yellow.

if the ECU/oil control module sees this loss of ground, automatic oil transfer wont occur.
                so in this case I would suspect a break in the circuit between the engine harness,4 pin connector or from the four pin to the tach.

Comment

Rodbolt,

I have a 2001 250 ox66, oil will not transfer, E-switch works to fill main tank, I replaced the main oil level switch and swapped the remote one so they work. I have yellow light on my dash so based on your previous posts I have a "open" wire somewhere? I did re-do my dash over the winter so could it be a wire going into tach?

What wires should I check ?

Comment

don't thread hop.
                    the 01 250 circuits work close to the same but are operationally slightly different than a 92 200.
                    post your issue on a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X