Won't Cut Off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Cut Off...

I have 94 2 stroke Yamaha 55hp that cranks up and runs great, but it won't turn off. When I turn the key off or pull the emergency shut off the motor idles down really low like it's about to shut off, but continues to run. Switch the key back on and it idles back to normal. Have to pull the gas line to get it to shut off. I've pin checked both switches and they seem to be good. I've checked the white wire from the switch to the motor and from the disconnect to the main harness on the motor and they seem to be good. It's almost like the ground in the CDI has come lose, but is making intermentent contact. Could it be a bad CDI? Help please... Thanks
    Last edited by bhgsf123; 05-22-2014, 05:23 AM.

remove the CDI cover.
    use a jumper lead and try grounding the white wire.
    if it shuts off reliably then chase grounds and the white wire in the harness.

Comment

Can you open up the CDI? I'll try jumping it and see what happens when I get off work. Thanks

Comment

the actual CDI is sealed.
        it left the factory with a cover over the screw terminals.

Comment

Put a jumper wire on it and it still runs. Doesn't shut off. After talking with a yamaha tech he seems to think with all ive checked it's a bad cdi.

Comment

Do one more thing before you replace the CDI. Remove the connector from the CDI. Carefully inspect and clean the pins in the CDI. Maybe shoot a blast of electrical contact cleaner on them.

Then, check the sockets for the pins in the engine harness. Pay particular attention to the socket for the white wire. Clean it as best as you can. Again, maybe a blast of contact cleaner.

While the connector is removed from the CDI, do a continuity check for the socket that is attached to the white wire. Is is grounded when the key is off? If so, good. If not, go up the line to find the cause for the no ground condition.

Coat the pins in the CDI with an electrical contact lubricant rated for such use. Reattach the connector and hope for the best.

Comment

Sorry for taking so long. Hooked a ground up to the battery and disconnected the white wire from the cdi and it shut off as advertised twice and then the other few times it ran 5-10 sec. and cut off. Im lost. Please help.

Comment

You don't need to disconnect the white wire from the CDI and you don't need to run a wire to the ground post on the battery.

With the white wire connected to the CDI just jumper a wire from the engine block (a clean unpainted surface) to the terminal at the end of the white wire. The motor should stop running.

With the motor running, every time the white wire terminal to the CDI sees a ground source the motor should stop.

If you don't understand this then it is time to take the motor to a Yamaha mechanic. That is what they are there for.

Comment

Defective Ignition Switch

I'm on my third Yamaha Ignition switch in six years with the same problem. They are readily available on Amazon.com for around $100. They wouldn't be so easy to find if they weren't prone to failure. In my opinion they are or were just poorly designed. The third one I put on has lasted three years so far. Installing is a straight plug in and takes less than three minutes.

FLCoyote

Comment

Originally posted by bhgsf123 View Post
                    Sorry for taking so long. Hooked a ground up to the battery and disconnected the white wire from the cdi and it shut off as advertised twice and then the other few times it ran 5-10 sec. and cut off. Im lost. Please help.
                    Read this entire thread, especially towards the end, it may help:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...f-th23386.html
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                    X