Help with C85TLRQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with C85TLRQ

Changing the water pump on a 92 85hp yamaha and have a few questions.
    1. How do you remove the water pump housing (Part #688-44341-00-94)? Everything above it has been removed and this part appears to be stuck on.

2. I noticed oil leaking around the shifter oil seal. (Part#93106-09014-00) Removed the bolts holding the plate (Part #688-45321-00-00) and plate doesn't come out. What are the steps to replace the oil seal and O-ring around plate?

3. I drained the lower unit oil and have enclosed a couple of photos. When draining it had brown streaks in the oil, but I do not see any water separation. Are you able to tell if water has entered the lower unit?
    Attached Files

Pry off with screw drivers on each side along with impeller, shift shaft carrier the same way
    little by little.

Comment

You have a little bit of water in your oil, it's the creamy immulsion I see on the sides that indicates this. Normally water would not separate out of oil like it might in fuel. This is because it has thoroughly been mixed by the "mixmaster" action of the spinning gears.

Comment

It almost looks like there is two kinds of oil in there. Was the engine used just before you drained it? And it is really black...almost looks like used motor oil.

Comment

I sure hope that is a plastic throw away type of bowl, otherwise your wife is going to kill you if it is one of her cooking sets

Comment

Adding a couple of photos on what I'm trying to remove, water pump housing on the left and shifter oil seal and plate on the right. Water pump housing hasn't moved with prying and bumping with a hammer. Shifter plate doesn't move when prying. Should I removed the oil seal first?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BigCrappie View Post
              Adding a couple of photos on what I'm trying to remove, water pump housing on the left and shifter oil seal and plate on the right. Water pump housing hasn't moved with prying and bumping with a hammer. Shifter plate doesn't move when prying. Should I removed the oil seal first?
              Rodbolt may need to weigh in on the housing. Seem to remember some issue with prying on that style pump.

That shifter cover has to pried gently. Go to Marinetechtools tools and find the video regarding seal replacement. There is a good tutorial and that will save me typing on this damn phone.

Comment

Much appreciated pstephens46 on the video suggestion. Definitely a great suggestion!

Comment

The parts diagram doesn't show anything else holding it in either: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha.../lower-drive-1
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-07-2018, 05:56 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Pry it out, only thing that is holding both seal carriers is a o-----ring.

Comment

and corrosion maybe

Comment

Much appreciated for all the suggestions. walleye1 was on point with his suggestions. 2 screwdrivers, penetrating oil, and patience were the key. Both parts out. Parts ordered. Hopefully back in the water soon!

Comment

good to hear it came apart hopefully without destroying any thing.
                          did you find any corrosion or was it just hard o rings

Comment

Working...
                          X