2000 ox66 250 fuel pump issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 ox66 250 fuel pump issues

I started out with a stuck float needle when I tried to fire up my motor for the season. No problem, I've had this happen before. Pulled the vst,wasn't too bad, and yep, stuck valve. Get it all back together, now, I get nothing. No fuel, no fuel pump comes on when I turn on the key, nothing. Put a test light on the red wire and ground. It lights. Check between the red and blue, no light? Check voltage at pump leads, around 8v +- . Just to see, I put 12v to pump, it runs? I just don't know enough about this, I was sure the pump had bought the farm, but it still runs with 12v? Is 8v correct at turn key? I even checked the resistor, it reads a little low, .37 or so? HELP PLEASE, I'm driving myself nuts with this, am I missing something or just overthinking a bad pump?

Need to fill tank prior to turning key on
    When you pump ball does it get firm, filter fill ?
    Check check valve after filter/ before lp pumps

Comment

Yep, all pumped up, fuel in vst, checked drain plug. I'm getting fuel to it, and it did work before I fixed the stuck float valve, I could hear it then, but noy now.

Comment

need to test amp draw at pump, if it draws over 5 it will stop ground path
        just because you dont hear it doesnt mean its mot working, builds pressure up to 36 psi then will kick off
        need to monitor pressure at schrader
        Last edited by jb123; 05-19-2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I did normally hear it come on when I would turn on the key to build up pressure, it no longer does this at all. I don't have a pressure gauge, but when I press the schraeder valve, I get zip. Is it normal to be able to get the pump to run on full 12v, but not on the lower voltage at the leads?

Comment

its a stupidly simple 2 speed 12V pump.
            at key on the pump and injectors get 12V via the main relay.
            the ECU controls the ground path.
            at key on the resistor is bypassed.
            at RPM above about 1200 the resistor is bypassed.
            the resistor will drop pump operating voltage to about 9 volts below 1200 RPM to prevent running the pump in a stalled condition.

Comment

Haven't been able to work on my problem for a while, work and all. I finally got hold of an ohmmeter to test the fuel pump resistor. It reads full continuity. I had it set on the 0-10 scale and it pegs the needle.
              My question is if the resistor was bad, would it read as an open circuit? Did it somehow short out? And if it did, shouldn't I get full power at the pump leads? Any ideas on what to try next, I plan to try to get a new resistor, but I'm afraid of frying it too if there is some other issues I should look for?

Comment

Working...
              X