1998 Yamaha 150 trim problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha 150 trim problems

I have been having some problems with trim and tilt on my 1998 150 2 stroke recently. The main issues have been as follows:
    Engine very slow to trim up and sounds as if it is pumping some air
    Engine stuck in the up position and won't tilt down

As a first step I replaced the o-rings between the gear pump assembly and the trim and tilt housing, the seals on the manual release valve, the o ring between the reservoir and the main body and the o ring between the pump motor and the gear pump assembly. I changed the oil and bled the system as per recommendations on here. The motor is still slow to trim up and still sounds as if it is pumping some air. The tilt element is now working fine whereas before I did the work above that too was slow. The motor is also no longer sticking in the up position.

I haven't changed any of the seals on the rams as the motor doesn't fall down or move under stress so didn't think that was the issue (my guess so obviously not definite). I'm wondering what could be causing the trim to be slow.

When taking it apart I didn't check or clean the shuttle valves so wondering whether this may be causing the issue or whether it's something else.

Would greatly appreciate your input

Thanks
    Nic
Working...
X