90 hp struggles to turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 hp struggles to turn over

I got a 1985 90 hp. I was scooting along the lake and I heard it rev up really high, then it died. I had nothing. It wouldn't even turn over. And my engine tilt wouldn't work either.

I took it home and put another battery in it. I got my tilt back and now it turns over. But struggles badly. Of course if I take the spark plugs out it turns over a little easier. I try to turn the fly wheel by hand and it seems tough to turn but I don't know how tough it's supposed to be. Can anybody help me? Thanks.
    1988 Skeeter Bass Boat w/
    1985 Yamaha 90hp

Any body know at least if it is supposed to be difficult to turn the engine by the flywheel with the spark plugs out?
    1985 Yamaha 90hp

Comment

should turn freely with plugs out

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        should turn freely with plugs out
        It takes some effort. Any idea what it could be?
        1985 Yamaha 90hp

Comment

How do the spark plugs look? REALLY IMPORTANT! Any whitish tint?

Sounds like it seized up from lack of oil (oil pump failure?-is it still hooked up?) or running lean. Revving high at the last moment would indicate running very lean right before failure.

Just for S&G's, check your lower unit oil. Just trying to rule out a seized lower unit drive shaft stopping the engine itself from turning... Dropping the LU would be a bit of work but would rule it out and narrow it down to the engine itself, something to consider..(probably NOT the issue)
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-18-2014, 09:21 AM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by maxwell.riddle View Post
            It takes some effort. Any idea what it could be?

Like he said lower unit is a possibility , crank bearings,,or pistons are seizing in cylinders.
            The high RPMs right before shutting down is what is puzzling, maybe sheared shaft in lower

Comment

The engine tilt stop working also is very puzzling and maybe not related.

Good possibility the drive shaft shearing/failing, high RPM's momentarily before it jambed up...

Maxwell, your up!
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X