Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about tachs/lights on older engines

1991 225TXRP

The tach didn't work when we got the boat...not sure about the oil based lights. The gauge(s) are very faded and basically look like hell.

What options do people have. I'm assuming the newer Yamaha tachs don't work (according to some ebay listings I've seen).

Can someone use any 2 cycle tach? Also from what I can tell the oil lights are separate from the unit so could be relocated to the new dash I'd like to build with just LEDs or such.

What's a guy todo with a great older engine!

dig around and buy the correct Yamaha tach.

it will assist when you have any alarm issue or oil transfer issue.

Comment

OK, I found someone selling new old stock on ebay but then found some posts in here talking about a kit: 6YR-W0035-E1-00

And found it here: Yamaha Tach Rigging Kit

So it claims to work with older engines (pre 2005) but I'm not convinced it has the correct oil/trim wire as I see this mentioned separately on other posts for new tachs working with older engines, 6Y5-85335-10-00.

Can anyone confirm if the kit is a true out the door solution so that everyone works?

Comment

Originally posted by carboncow View Post
        OK, I found someone selling new old stock on ebay but then found some posts in here talking about a kit: 6YR-W0035-E1-00

And found it here: Yamaha Tach Rigging Kit

So it claims to work with older engines (pre 2005) but I'm not convinced it has the correct oil/trim wire as I see this mentioned separately on other posts for new tachs working with older engines, 6Y5-85335-10-00.

Can anyone confirm if the kit is a true out the door solution so that everyone works?

From the smaller print on the E-Bay link:

"Superseded from Part # 6YR-W0035-E0-00 Complete Multi-function tach rigging kit. Kit has all trim/oil harness and power supply harness included. Basically everything you need to install it on a boat that currently does not have one. For 1996 thru 2004 engines only. If you have a 2005 and/or newer engine, use the other E2 2005+ Tach rigging kit This is the most cost effective way to purchase a new Yamaha Multi-function tach replacement."
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

-----------------
          Last edited by boscoe99; 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            It is the right tachometer and right trim/oil lead for your motor. Only issue is that you will need a couple of adapter harnesses to interface the engine harness round connectors to the new style trim/oil leads that use square connectors. You can buy everything needed right here from this website.
            Boscoe,

Thanks for your help...I've noted that sometimes I get thread updates and sometimes I do not (not in spam filter).

I'm working on this project with a budget (of course) and have now tripped across the Pro Series II Tachs (link here)

Can you also confirm if these will work with my 1991 225HP? If they come in a kit form And which adapters would be needed? Assuming maybe the same you listed.

I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to get the analog as my buddy does prefer them over the digital. If it saves us $100 to go analog I'm in.

Another question...as I'm confused in my readings. Is the trim gauge required for the motor to operate? I've seen posts of issues with bad trim level senders causing no start issues (or similar). We are making a new dash and I'm really just wanting the basics...trim is not that important to us.

Comment

the gauge does not have to work, the sender DOES.
              that's why the CORRECT digital gauge is so nice.
              it will aid in future testing/trouble shooting issues AND it has the correct visual indicators.

aaahhhhhhh my oil alarm is going of my o my omy.

now you can look at the CORRECT digital gauge and eliminate half the testing required to figure it out, if you pay attention to the indicators(yellow lamp) you may not even get an alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                the gauge does not have to work, the sender DOES.
                that's why the CORRECT digital gauge is so nice.
                it will aid in future testing/trouble shooting issues AND it has the correct visual indicators.

aaahhhhhhh my oil alarm is going of my o my omy.

now you can look at the CORRECT digital gauge and eliminate half the testing required to figure it out, if you pay attention to the indicators(yellow lamp) you may not even get an alarm.
                I think you sold me on digital, thanks Rod.

I'm new the engine and the functionality of the factory gauge but from my readings it appears it would tell you if the main resolve was low as well as the small one, correct? Does the digital tell you that or just the smaller one is low?

Also there appears to be a temp warning sensor on the digital, what is that about as I don't think the default analog was wired for this.

Comment

Yamaha alarms DO NOT use any series or patterns of beeps or chirps like some other manufacturers.
                  if you get ANY alarm its a solid tone.

now is where the correct digital gauge comes in handy.

by simply looking down you can tell if its oil,overheat,if you have the digital speedo, if its low battery voltage.

if the remote tank goes low the oil indicates will light the center lamp,bar or arrow BEFORE the alarm sounds.

if the alarm sounds and you look down and all 3 bars are blinking you know either the transfer pump failed,transfer pump wiring failed or the filter is clogged.
                  or granny has her chair sitting on the oil line.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    Yamaha alarms DO NOT use any series or patterns of beeps or chirps like some other manufacturers.
                    if you get ANY alarm its a solid tone.

now is where the correct digital gauge comes in handy.

by simply looking down you can tell if its oil,overheat,if you have the digital speedo, if its low battery voltage.

if the remote tank goes low the oil indicates will light the center lamp,bar or arrow BEFORE the alarm sounds.

if the alarm sounds and you look down and all 3 bars are blinking you know either the transfer pump failed,transfer pump wiring failed or the filter is clogged.
                    or granny has her chair sitting on the oil line.
                    Also...what is the overheating warning lamp about, is this a water temp or another temp? Does my older engine have said sensor to even trigger this warning or was this for the newer engines? I ask because I didn't get the impression the analog had such a warning.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X