F250 timing alignment after tensioner pulley change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Bail View Post

My first time changing an F250 belt. That thing was on so tight it was a bug tussle getting it off. The tensioner is pinned, but man it is tight. Any other advice? Would putting belt in hot water help?
    I believe the tensioner is hydraulic (or at least acts similar to one).

Gently and slowly pull/ wrench the lever away from the belt. It will move but be patient.

You can pin it open (correct sized) with a drill bit...

Just re-read your post and you already have it pinned "open" .
    The engine should be at TDC (compression stroke) and the belt should slip off..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

I believe the tensioner is hydraulic (or at least acts similar to one).

Gently and slowly pull/ wrench the lever away from the belt. It will move but be patient.

You can pin it open (correct sized) with a drill bit...

Just re-read your post and you already have it pinned "open" .
      The engine should be at TDC (compression stroke) and the belt should slip off..

Thanks for the reply. It turned out I didn't have the tensioner fully released, I was using a 5mm Allen wrench and could feel it being grabbed, but there was more to go before I could really get the Allen wrench to fully enter the space.

It turns out I'll get another opportunity to excel. When I went to put the flywheel back on it lined up TDC, as did the came on the right side. The left side came was 5° off. So I'll have to pull the belt and try again.

The boat is on a shop getting new plastic & canvas, so I'll hit it next week.

Comment

Working...
      X