1989 Yamaha B90 TLRW 2 stroke, basic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Yamaha B90 TLRW 2 stroke, basic question

As the engine gets older I've decided to do as much of the work on it myself so I can learn. So far so good, I've done the water pump, thermostat, and even rebuilt the carbs this spring but I'm embarrassed to say I'm stumped on how to change the little in line fuel filter. Question: Is the filter cup twist off / threaded or does it just pop off / compression fitting?

I tried twisting with as much force as I felt comfortable applying to a plastic housing it but it seems frozen. Before I try again and I break something I figured I'd ask.

If it matters here are the parts involved:
    (5) 61N-24560-00-00 FILTER ASSY

(6) 61N-24563-00-00 ELEMENT, FILTER

(7) 61N-24521-00-00 CUP, FILTER
    Last edited by Fish Nut; 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM.

I couldn't find that exact motor model # but that filter assembly is used in MANY engines. Per the parts manual, the cup spins on.

You do have to remember (and maybe have )your taking that cup off UPSIDE DOWN, so "lefty loosy" doesn't apply (IF just looking straight on).

Looking at the filter cup from the bottom up, Counter Clockwise turning, should spin it off.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I found your motor model # and it's just like my 1999 C60. Mine was very hard to unscrew the first time I tried. But it does screw on like he said above

Comment

Thank you. I'll admit I'm just a little lysdexic so it's possible I may have tried twisting it the wrong way and that's why it's so tight now.

Comment

Just hold that base real secure at this point when you lean on the cup.

Won't be the first time an upside part got spun the wrong way,
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Just went out in the garage to give it another go and that worked, thanks again. I think part of the issue was I was trying to unscrew it with the hoses still attached so this time I took the unit out and I was able to get a much better grip on it.

Comment

Working...
            X