2003 Yamaha 150 boggs out at 2300 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha 150 boggs out at 2300 rpms

Motor starts and runs fine up to 23-2400 rpm's, then boggs out, any suggestions
    Jim

Jim,
    Can you expand a little on "boggs out" ?
    Any alarms going off? Motor going into rpm reduction mode?
    When you throttle back a little, does the rpm pick back up and motor run smoother at less throttle?
    Is motor carbed or fuel injected - what model?
    Has the motor been allowed to set up for more than a month w/o being run? Did you "winterize" the motor before storage?
    Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

sorry, no alarms, and it has sat for over a month, its a 150 txrb (2003) which i believe is motor carbed and no fuel injection, it runs fine up to 2400 rpms then when i try to get it up on plane it spits and sputters but does not die, i had to have my brother manually hold the choke about 25% to nurse it home, by doing that i was able to get it up on plane,

jim

Comment

sorry, no alarms, and it has sat for over a month, its a 150 txrb (2003) which i believe is motor carbed and no fuel injection, it runs fine up to 2400 rpms then when i try to get it up on plane it spits and sputters but does not die, i had to have my brother manually hold the choke about 25% to nurse it home, by doing that i was able to get it up on plane,

jim

Comment

Jim,
          Sure sounds like clogged high speed jets in those carbs. You might try doing a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree and then removing the high speed jets and squirting some Berryman's Chemtool into the orifices. Check the ends of the jets - if they have o-rings that are distorted or cracked, then replace them.
          If that does not do the trick, then need to remove the carbs and teardown, clean, and install a carb kit.
          There's also a remote chance it could be a clogged up fuel filter - clean out the local filter, and remote filter if you have one.
          If none of the above takes care of the problem, then I would suspect fuel pump, or restriction in the fuel line from the local filter all the way back to the fuel tank.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

JIm, I have had a similar problem, after a lot of it "could be's" tried this tried that , it turned out to be a cloged screen at the In tank end of the fuel pick up. an easy fix, just be careful not to mess up the gasket while removing it form the tank. I use the spin on type fuel filter/water seperator, so whin I discovered this problem, I discarded the little screen, put it all back together, and solved problem. I have had this problem in two of the three boats that I have owned, it has not happened in the present one ...yet...
            hopt this helps
            Dennis

Comment

JIm, I have had a similar problem, after a lot of it "could be's" tried this tried that , it turned out to be a cloged screen at the In tank end of the fuel pick up. an easy fix, just be careful not to mess up the gasket while removing it form the tank. I use the spin on type fuel filter/water seperator, so whin I discovered this problem, I discarded the little screen, put it all back together, and solved problem. I have had this problem in two of the three boats that I have owned, it has not happened in the present one ...yet...
              hope this helps
              Dennis

Comment

thanks Dennis, I will try, how do i remove it from the tank,

Jim

Comment

hey loxahatchee, to check the pickup tube for a screen, unhook the line at the top of the tank and you should be able to unthread the tube. also check your whole fuel system for any air leaks,quite cheap to replace all lines.if you had a clogged tube , then the fuel pump should by function collapse pump ball. most probably your carbs tho.

Comment

I unhooked the gas line from the top of the tank, there is a large (32 mm) nut on top of the poly tank and a smaller (15 mm) that goes into it, do i loosen the smaller one from the larger one or do they both come out, I'm dont want to ruin the seal to the tank, any suggestion would be helpful
                    Jim

Comment

id try the smaller first but they should all unthread, i use teflon tape to reinstall.remember tho if youre choking/enrichening to get the motor to run better it is a carb issue. if your ball collapses when running then maybe the pickup screen.

Comment

Working...
                      X