head bolt torque specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head bolt torque specs

I have a 1999 Yamaha C60 TLRY 3 cyl, 2 stroke outboard motor. Got a new head, gaskets and cover ordered for it, but I need a little info.

Do I need any gasket sealant for this? If so what kind (brand)?

What are the torque specs?

Thank you ,
    Tim

Or, where can I look up the info I need?

Thanks

Comment

A Yamaha, Haynes, etc shop manual would have the specifics and would pay for itself very quickly. (I don't know your specific head torque)

Your local library may have a manual as well

Here ya go, $27.00:

http://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-Repair-...rd+shop+manual
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-13-2014, 04:49 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks....that's what I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by timsullivan View Post
          Thanks....that's what I needed.
          Your welcome, have fun!
          Scott

Comment

I'll have fun when I get on those big fat Blue Cats that are spawning now.

Actually I'm a pretty good outboard mechanic when they are Johnson/Evinrude pre 1960 models, but I no longer work out of a tool box and the new ones are SO different.

I'm also smart enough to know it's what you learn after you know it all that counts!

Comment

Also, sometimes, on the actual head, Yamaha will have raised #'s for the torque sequence.
              Scott

Comment

mechanically, there is not a hoot of difference between an F350, your 60 and a 1965 jonny rude.
                there is a bit of difference in ign and such.
                actually ,mechanically there isn't much difference between the engine in your truck/car and that 60.

as for sealants, if there is much corrosion pitting sometimes I will coat the head gasket with perfect seal.

I use pipe sealant with Teflon on the bolt threads, or perfect seal.

Comment

How true, a head is a head. I have no corrosion on the milled block surfaces and the new Yamaha head and cover are, well, new. I just like to check.
                  Thanks both of you for the info.

"When the draft of your vessel exceeds the depth of the water you most assuredly have run aground"

Comment

The torque specs are often on in the block, as well as the tightening sequence.
                    Last edited by kokevako; 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kokevako View Post
                      The torque specs are often on in the block, as well as the tightening sequence.
                      They torque sequence and spec was on the head of my 1997 60hp 2 stroke. Very important to remember to retorque after 20 hours.
                      No need for gasket sealant but I do recommend you wire brush the head bolts and apply a very slight amount of the silver colored permatex anti-seize compound.
                      Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I don't recommend ANY metallic based antisieze.
                        I do use Pipe Sealant with Teflon or perfect seal.

if you MUST use a metallic based try to find a nickel based.

Comment

Metals are not good to add into the mix with saltwater, causes more corrosion.

Try the Marine grade anti-seize. It contains no elemental metals.
                          The teflon based thread sealant is good too.

Comment

Working...
                          X