F250 speedometer not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 speedometer not working

I have a one year old F250 and the speedometer stopped working. It worked fine last year but when I put it in the water this year its not working. Any suggestions?

The LU Pitot tube is likely clogged up (Not unusal as salt and debris drys up in there).

The pitot hole is very, very small at the very front leading edge of the lower unit. You'll find a rubberish/plastic hose, about 2' (with a connector) from the front of the engine(with the rest of the factory wiring), with a connector that'll run forward to another hose eventually to the speedometer.

It simply works by water pressure pushing air inside the hose, then pushing the speedometer needle. Once the hole is closed, no pressure, no speedometer..

Folks have used a very, very small drill bit (BY HAND ONLY) to insert into the pitot hole. Spaying fresh water from the bottom and the top (once the connector is disconnected) may dislodge any salt/crap in there. NOTE: it is very easy to bust a drill bit in the pitot opening, so go slow and very gently.

Below is a link of a set up in my boat for cleaning out the entire line (regular maintainance once its open)

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th23159.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X