Question about prime start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about prime start

I've been waiting about a week for my PS gaskets so I've had some time to really inspect this part.
    I noticed that when cleaning, the red lever which I think is a bypass for the system was stuck in a 1/2 way open, closed position. The red lever was down but the needle did not fully seat. A bit of wd-40 freed it up.
    My question is how would this part way closed position have affected my motor startup or operation.
    Thanks
    Last edited by mygrady1; 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM. Reason: correction

The red lever has three positions.

Fully counterclockwise it allows the prime start device to automatically control the amount of fuel enrichment that is provided to the motor.

In the center position the prime start is not utlized as the lever position provides for manual fuel enrichment. Extra fuel.

In the clockwise position the prime start device is not utilized as the lever position has terminated all fuel enrichmnt to the motor. No extra fuel.

This is generic two stroke prime start information since the model of your motor is unknown to me. Refer to your owners manual for additional information.

Comment

Sorry I have a 225TLRS which only has a red up and down lever.

Comment

Just being stuck partially open would be the same as having the choke partially ON ALL THE TIME.

Maybe slightly harder to start cold (don't have FULL enrichement), running rich after warmed up (still providing extra fuel),
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks
          I was thinking along those lines but I don't trust my knowledge in these areas so I rely on you folks. I probably use over kill when it comes to maintaining my motor but if it fails, I will be retired from boating due to expense.
          Thanks to ALL for your patience and help.

Comment

Working...
          X