Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 9.9 lower unit help

Hi all. I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1993 yamaha 9.9 ELHR. I've owned the boat and motor for about 2 years now. Never had any issues other than having to clean the carb out. Couple weeks ago II hit someth I no with the prop. Not sure what it was. When I loaded the boat on trailer, I noticed oil on back side of boat. It ended up being gear oil. After doing some research, I replaced 2 seals on top and 2 seals on bottom put new gear oil in and all new gaskets for water pump. Tested engine for about 15 min. Took drain screw out and it's still getting water in gear oil.

I noticed there is another seal under the bearing housing. I tried to remove the housing but I ended up breaking that. I really do not know how to properly disassemble everything. I tried to remove the casing from the prop shaft but it would not budge. I tried using torch on it but it just wouldn't budge. I'm sure all seals will need to be replaced now that I put heat to it. I purchased a manual online but doesn't actually show the model I have. It shows a 4hp.

So I'm asking for any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files

dude
    to funny.
    however even the factory service manual isn't real clear.

to remove the drive shaft seal carrier/busing assy, FIRST requires the drive shaft to be removed.

that REQUIRES the propshaft carrier to be removed.

its incredibly simple yet I replace a coulpe broken driveshaft carriers every year.

I had a local machine shop make a tool that is threaded on both ends.
    one end fits my slide hammer.
    the other fits the prop shaft threads.

screw the two together.
    remove the two carrier retaining bolts.
    a couple love taps and the carrier and shaft are on the bench.

then remove the pinion nut,withdraw the drive shaft and remove the shaft seal carrier/busing assy.
    see how easy this is??

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I heated it up earlier last night, beat and bang on it but still didn't get a cm of movement. Crazy. I'll try the slide hammer.

Comment

to remove the prop shaft carrier the manual is going to show a puller and some puller legs.
        doesn't work.

make the tool.
        it will remove the carrier and the shaft as a unit.

or break things.

I have only done this for a living about 30 years.

take the slide hammer and the prop nut to a machine shop.

have one end of the tool threaded for the hammer, the other for the shaft.

couple love taps and maybe some heat and your in bidness.

Comment

Is there anything I need to be aware of when I pull any of this stuff out? What all should I replace when it's out? Only thing I planed to replace was the O rings. I hope the prop shaft isn't bent. I replaced oil seals and it still leaked so I'm curious if the shaft is bent

Comment

if a seal is leaking why replace an oring?

make sure you did not scratch the seal bore or seal surface or damage the seal when you removed and reinstalled them with the shafts in place.

wont be the first carrier or shaft I have seen destroyed by that attempt.

Comment

I replaced the seals once already and still getting water in oil. Thats when i tried to start disassemble. I put heat on the bottom trying to break case loose. I figured the O rings would have melted from heat and prob need replacing while it's apart.
              I had a friend weld something up and we are going to try the slide hammer shortly.
              Last edited by pcollins249; 05-12-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X