steering cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering cable

I have to remove the steering cable to raise the outboard motor. Can anyone tell me how to remove the cable? I disconnected the steering to the engine as well as the two large nuts that secure the cable to the engine bracket. I can't pull the cables away from the engine bracket. Also, with the cable disconnected, it's still very heavy turning the steering wheel, shouldn't it be very easy? I may have to buy the new cable, just the non-feedback type. You know which one and where I can get it. The boat is a 19' tournament 1987 grady white. tks in advance.

fish addict,
    Sounds like your steering cable is corroded/rusted up - very common.
    When you replace the cable, I recommend Teleflex NoFeedBack system. Got it on my Pathfinder, and love it. Go to www.teleflexmarine.com and link over to their NFB steering systems.When you install the new one, make sure there are grease fittings on the cable housing, and keep it greased.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken, how did you disconnect and remove the cable when you replaced yours? Mine, I tried to push through the engine bracket but impossible.

Comment

fish addict,
        My Pathfinder came new with the Teleflex NFB steering - lucky for me. I've never had to replace any steering cables, but I know that on a lot of boats, the outboard has to be unbolted from the transom and raised to allow clearance for the cable - that may be the case with yours.
        If I were you, I would try to find a marine mechanic who has done the Teleflex installation before, and get him to do it all.
        Ken K

Comment

did you get the teleflex NFB4.2 or NFB Safe-T II?

Comment

fish addict,
            I knew you were going to ask me that - let me go and dig into my filing cabinet and see if I can find the documentation that came with my boat.
            I'll get back to you.
            Ken K

Comment

fish addict,
              Well, after digging thru my documentation, all I can tell you is that my Teleflex NFB system is single cable, as opposed to dual - don't know the model number.
              I would go to the Teleflex website, and email them and tell them what kind of boat and motor you have and they should be able to recommend the best model.
              Ken K

Comment

tks

Comment

You need to clean your tilt-tube as it's corroded and binding the rod. Get a shotgun cleaning kit from Walmart and bore it out. Then, only use oil, NOT grease! Grease is what caused your problem as it dries out over time and quits lubricating.

Good luck!

Comment

Glen, you are absolutely correct. I couldn't slide out the old steering, so just use a grinder to cut it out. The old grease was very dried, and bind the old steering. I bought a Teleflex NFB 4.2 mechanical steering. Very easy to turn

Comment

Working...
                    X