Timing belt direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt direction

Changing timing belts on my F300s (made late 2013) for first time, and no expert. A couple questions:

1. Does it matter which direction the crankshaft is moved (clockwise or counterclockwise as viewed from above) before removal to line up the marks for the timing belt? Same for both port and starboard engines I assume?
    2. What is best way to move the crankshaft to align the marks? Can't budge by hand, and no bolt on crankshaft.
    Thanks.

Yes, it matters. The crank shaft turns clock wise when viewed from above.

Use the bolts from when the flywheel was removed. A prybar can be used between two of the bolts to rotate the crank shaft.

I surely hope that you have a service manual to walk you through the process.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Yes, it matters. The crank shaft turns clock wise when viewed from above.

Use the bolts from when the flywheel was removed. A prybar can be used between two of the bolts to rotate the crank shaft.

I surely hope that you have a service manual to walk you through the process.
      Thanks much! Yes have service manual, but coming to find they leave some things out that someone like you know, but not me . . .

Comment

Thanks guys. New belt is on starboard engine. Now keeping fingers crossed engine doesn't implode when I put her in the water. Could not have done it without your very helpful comments.
        Last edited by 28Regulator; 10-03-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X