Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40hp slow going, did I break a shear pin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp slow going, did I break a shear pin?

I was easing along a little to fast and hit a rock out from St Marks and broke the tip of the skeg on my 2000 40hp Yamaha C40tlry 2-stroke. After that I could limp along but if I revved the motor up passed fast idle the boat didn't speed up at all and the motor seemed to just rev. I pulled the prop when I got home thinking shear pin but didn't see one. It shifts from forward to reverse fine, is there a shear pin somewhere I can't find? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Haven't used shear pins for years, you probably have chewed out the rubber bush, (hub) borrow another prop to test, easy job.

Comment

the prop can be rehubed at a prop shop. they press out the old and press in a new one.

or buy a new prop

Comment

Thanks, I didn't know about rubber hubs, I'll have to try and find another prop. Can the bushing be replaced or is it better to trash the prop?

Comment

If the prop is OK, as in, no bent blades or bad pieces missing, it can be rebushed, but, for a smaller outboard, it might be just as easy to just buy a new one.

Comment

aluminum props are cheap.
            if running a SS rehubbing cost are less that $100 compared to over $200 for new

Comment

Buy a new prop and check to see if you may have bent the prop shaft as well...sounds like you gave her a good smack.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and help. I didn't know they were made that way. The shaft looks good (no wobble) so I'll replace the prop and be ready again this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X