Things You Should Be Using in Your 2-Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things You Should Be Using in Your 2-Cycle

Use Yamalube 2M oil. It's a great oil. I used to use Amsoil Full Synthetic 2-cycle blend. No more. Since I tried Yamalube, I'm much happier with it, and so is the engine. Also, make sure you add Ring Free to your gasoline when you refuel. When I change spark plugs, you can look in the cylinder and see that there are no carbon deposits on the top surface of the cylinder. BTW, I do not sell either of these products, they are things I have been using for years and have never had a fuel issue.

+1 on the Yamaha "RingFree", expensive but works great.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have been running West Marine 2 cycle motor oil on a 1997 60HP Yamaha for one thousand hours without any problems. I recently had to pull the head for resurfacing and a gasket due to an overheat caused by kelp plugging water intake. Pistons and cylinder head were very clean, cylinder walls excellent, and compression high and even.
      The only additive I use is Startron for periods I do not operate.
      My buddies also run the West Marine oil in their much higher horsepower Yamaha 2 strokes with no reported problems, and very little smoke produced..

The West Marine oil can be purchased on sale for as low as $15/gallon.
      The savings are big compared to running the Yama lube and ring free.
      Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

FWIW my servicing dealer recommends Ring Free Plus and Startron. He says 70% of their service work centers on fuel issues. He's adamant that the use of these two products will reduce fuel issues to near zero.

When I've winterized the past two falls I've used a product from StarBrite (seller of Startron) called Easy to Store - Easy to Start. My 20 gallons of fuel treated with that product perform the same after a long winter as does fresh fuel.

Comment

sea foam???

What do you all think about seafoam in the gas.I used it and it seam to make my 40 run better now i have a 70 fuel injected 2010 oil injected also.Do you guys think i should use ring free instead>?
          Any comment would be great thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by thebareman View Post
            What do you all think about seafoam in the gas.I used it and it seam to make my 40 run better now i have a 70 fuel injected 2010 oil injected also.Do you guys think i should use ring free instead>?
            I use Seafoam about 90% of the time in my Yamaha motorcycle without issue. Its a good fuel stabilizer (and pretty good cleaner) and shouldn't hurt anything.

If your cleaning the fuel system, besides "Ring free", Chevron Tectron works extremly well.

In my 2006 F150, I run NON ethonol fuel, Ring Free and K100 exclusivly. Nothing else. Boat runs like a top, original (1996) built in 50 gallon fuel tank, never drained or removed. The K100, with the non ethonol fuel, helped mix some moisture I had in the tank and burn it off with the fuel under normal running.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by thebareman View Post
              Check Oronite additives Division of Chevron, they developed and produce Ringfree and Techron, and many others. They pretty much wrote the book on fuel additives. Seafoam has been around for decades and is also well-proven and well-accepted, but I believe the Ringfree is most likely better, especially for deposit prevention and removal. I've used Ringfree for years in my motors as well as a stabilizer like Stabil with good results so far. Fuels have changed over the years and may have some less than desirable characteristics regarding carbon deposits and the effects of alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                Check Oronite additives Division of Chevron, they developed and produce Ringfree and Techron, and many others. They pretty much wrote the book on fuel additives. .
                Didn't know that same company made both products, interesting, tks!

Just as a side note, on a motorcycle forum I frequent, a poster had a major issue with acceleration hesitation (FI'ed engine 600cc, 100HP). Ran a bottle of Techtron, problem went away! It does indeed work..
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X