Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outboard preventive maintenance....or lack thereof!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard preventive maintenance....or lack thereof!

I have several friends and relatives with boats who have no clue or interest at all in any preventive maintenance procedures ....just run'em until they quit and then squeal about repair prices?? They run their boats just like their cars and trucks...just add gas and go. My son has a nice boat with a Yamaha 115 on it that runs great...all he does in 5 years is change the oil in the motor....so far he's gotten by with ....thinks the old man is nuts to change the foot oil, grease zerks, etc., etc...guess this is the new generation mentality?

yes he will screem when he cannot get the bolts out to drop the lower unit and then go crazy when the lower will not come down.

or just go nuts when the shop shows him the bill for changing the water pump after the motor overheats and screws other things up and they have do do major surgery to get the lower off

Comment

May as well beat your head against the wall. He will come to the "old man" for help when shit starts to go wrong.

My old man would say "now go find out how to fix it yourself' and only would intervene when I was really stuck.
      Last edited by panasonic; 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Our buddy Solo thought alarms were maintenance indicators. He must have gotten officially nuked from this site.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Our buddy Solo thought alarms were maintenance indicators. He must have gotten officially nuked from this site.
          I think that was the guy that said low fluid stopped his motors from tilting back down

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I think that was the guy that said low fluid stopped his motors from tilting back down
            Nope. He was the guy that said repeatedly to use “tranny stop leak”. His words.....And started every thread with “I gots me three F225s”.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Nope. He was the guy that said repeatedly to use “tranny stop leak”. His words.....And started every thread with “I gots me three F225s”.
              yep that is the one that was saying when his TT got low they would not go down.
              I could not get my mind to understand that, but I think Someone came back to say it could happen

Comment

Yes that did indeed happen. Anchored at beach. Simply grabbed motor by the tail and yanked violently up and down while someone pressed the button down. Worked..... don’t know about the tranny stop leak. Don’t know any trannys around here.

Comment

That Drano sure cleaned my plugs though. I'll probably never buy another plug in my life. 3 cars and two boat motors. Just think how much I'll save?? Wait, one's a diesel....

Next time my injectors get plugged, ON MY 2005 F225TURD's they're going in the Drano as well.
                  Last edited by oldmako69; 09-30-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X