Peak Voltage Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak Voltage Adapter

I have a no start issue on a T9.9GPXR four stroke.

No spark...engine fired up briefly (less than a 1 second run time) and suddenly died.

In testing I have checked resistance on the ignition coil, pulser coil and charge coil...all appear fine. Plugs were changed and plug leads checked too.

When I connect a digital volt meter across the pulser coil, charge coil and CDI I get strange readings (very low) when I crank the engine. My meter has a max DC voltage setting on it.

I assumed this would allow me to read the maximum voltage produced by the devices to confirm if one of them is dead. Apparently this is not the case.

In consulting the manual I note that they indicate the use of a Peak Voltage Adapter (PN YU-3999-1) for reading the peak output voltage of these devices.

Given that the coils are all within resistance tolerance I presume the CDI is the problem but would like to know for sure before ordering a replacement.

Seems the only way to test the CDI is with this Peak Voltage Adapter. What is this device (I mean what's in it..can I jury rig one) and why is it required?

Can anyone clarify please?

do some reading
    Print Out This Guide, The Use of Electronic Test Equipment for Outboard Motors.

but here is something I located that works

Comment

Thanks for the link.
      Last edited by SouthernSailor; 02-02-2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X