CL7 Question? Fairdeal or others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CL7 Question? Fairdeal or others

It appears to me that the CL7 display does not allow a user to select and see instantaneous fuel flow separately for either of two motors when two are installed. Appears to me that only total fuel flow for both motors combined can be seen.

Is this the situation?

I would assume its the same as the 6YC or 6Y9 gauge - which - AFAIK -
    displays a single value for flow and mpg - regardless of 1, 2, 3, 4 engines

btw - the 6Y9 seems to have disappeared from yamahaoutboards.com ?

Comment

Seems the CL+ display (6Y9) has been discontinued. Time moves on.

The 6Y9 allowed for the display of port, starboard or total (both) fuel flow. Does not appear to be in the 6YC or CL7 displays? WTH? Looks like a step backwards.

This all came up when a guy asked me how to calibrate his port and starboard fuel flow values separately. Does not seem possible with the 6Y9 display. Calibration is only possible when the display is in the total (both) fuel flow modes.

Comment

just because I have no idea if it could be possible, I will ask what if you disconnected one side or the other, then calibrate the one still hooked up, but display is in total
        then flip them and do the other

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          just because I have no idea if it could be possible, I will ask what if you disconnected one side or the other, then calibrate the one still hooked up, but display is in total
          then flip them and do the other
          Might just work. Measure each separately to see if they are in general agreement and to see if the sum of the two equals the total fuel flow value displayed on the screen. It should. Then proceed to calibrate the fuel flow displayed to equal the fuel that is actually consumed by both.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 09-25-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

seems like I read on here not long ago about a gunge that would not even think a boat had 2 motors for fuel flow if both signals are there for it to see could make it easy to calibrate them separately if that works like that

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              seems like I read on here not long ago about a gunge that would not even think a boat had 2 motors for fuel flow if both signals are there for it to see could make it easy to calibrate them separately if that works like that
              I think that post was about the conventional fuel flow meter. It can be set to indicate starboard motor fuel flow, port motor fuel flow or total (both motors) fuel flow. The display will also indicate fuel consumed since last reset. Normally with twins, that is with both motors running for a period of time. I guess that one could disconnect the applicable sensor to see what the total fuel consumption is for each motor separately. It cannot be calibrated separately for each motor. I don't see how anyway. It is just moving some dip switches.

Comment

command link does not use flow sensors.
                shot that one down.

Comment

dang I did not think about what actually fed the info

Comment

CL7 display gives me what I need. A separate place to see engine RPM's, etc. leaving my larger plotter to show charts and sonar. BUT, I think this CL7 started out as a Garmin. How do I update the software in this unit as Garmin updates their own plotter software? I have version 18.1 on my GMSMAP7616xsv and version 10.x on my CL7. Is there a way to keep the software version up to date?

Comment

Great question, CapnPete - I don't know the answer.

I have questions for you -

18.1 is the most current version for the 7616 -
                      so you have been doing updates via SD card or ActiveCaptain ?

do you have the CL7 connected to the GPSMAP 7616xsv via ethernet cable?

Comment

I've been doing software updates to my 7616 with Active Captain and am using SD card to update charts when I purchase them. My 7616 is loaded with the Lakes chart that I don't need, so I leave it alone and only purchase the one I do need - SW Florida VUS011R. I download to my computer, transfer it to a blank SD card per instructions from the site and insert it into the 7616, where it stays till the next update. I can't figure out how to use Active Captain to update charts in the plotter. They show on my phone, however, after Active Captain knows I have paid! I think the SD card is the only way to update charts.
                        The 7616xsv has two SD slots, and I put the updated charts in Slot 1 and leave the Active Captain SD card in Slot 2. Slot 2 then becomes the location of Sonar info to share so it comes in and out of the 7616 as I think of it and want to send depth data to Garmin.
                        Second question: The CL7 is connected by NEMA 2000. I have just been told by both Yamaha and Garmin that the only way to update the CL7 software is by the dealer! Latest SW version is 10.7. Not worth the cost of a trip to the boat by the dealer! Strange way to do things from Yamaha, especially since Garmin is so good with software updates.

Comment

Originally posted by CapnPete View Post
                          Second question: The CL7 is connected by NEMA 2000. I have just been told by both Yamaha and Garmin that the only way to update the CL7 software is by the dealer! Latest SW version is 10.7. Strange way to do things from Yamaha, especially since Garmin is so good with software updates.
                          So you have been on the phone with both Yamaha and Garmin customer support?

Of course the interesting thing about those folks,
                          they are only as good as the information they are provided with,
                          if they haven't been given formal information,
                          they have to wing it..

I took a stab at calling the Customer Support number at Yamaha the other day,
                          after replying to your post -
                          asked about updating the CL7 software

the guy I got,
                          had no clue that the CL7 is a 'modified' Garmin GPSMAP 7607!
                          but he was nice enough to put me on hold while he went off to ask someone else...

when he came back on,
                          said he had been told that
                          "the maps can be updated by the owner via the SD card, like any Garmin product"

but either didn't understand my question,
                          or didn't get an answer,
                          about updating the operating software.

But here's what I personally know:
                          when you have more than one Garmin MFD,
                          and they are connected together via ethernet,
                          when performing an update to to any one unit,
                          whether via an SD card or wirelessly with ActiveCaptain,
                          all other connected devices will be updated at the same time.

I suspect that if you had your CL7 and 7616 connected via ethernet,
                          the CL7 would already have been updated when you did the 7616

But its frustrating to me that I can't find any 'official' formation about it

Comment

Latest info from Yamaha AND Garmin support staffs is that the CL7 has been "tweeked" to prevent software updates by user. To update requires a visit by a Yamaha dealer service to the unit.

The maps can be updated, and I've done that this week, but not the operating software. One of those manufacturer decisions to save hassles to their support staff, I expect. I don't use the map function anyway, using the CL7 as an engine gage only as I suspect most Grady White owners do. My primary plotter is a 7616.

BTW, the CL7 hardware that is available to Yamaha support staff to talk about with callers has software version 8.X on it according to the tech I spoke to on the phone! Obviously not a core product for Yamaha.

Thanks for getting involved.

Comment

Working...
                            X