No announcement yet.

2001 Lower unit tilted down: A problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Lower unit tilted down: A problem?

My trim and tilt cylinder(s) on my port 2001, 200 HP HPDI are leaking a bit and will not lower the motor from the fully tilted up position requiring me to bleed it to the 'down' position every so often and then add fluid to allow it to work OK for another few trips. I follow the manual's process for bleeding /filling etc I will have the system rebuilt the season is over and the boat is on the hard , but for now I wonder about the wisdom of just leaving it in the down position after use and continually until the boat gets pulled in late October . I am in New England waters if that affects the thinking ion the subject ?
    The lower unit seals were all replaced just 2 years ago and should be in great shape.
    Waddya think....ok to leave it tilted all the way down in the water for an y extended time

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

Can’t you use the tilt stop lever to hold it up?

Comment

In its current operating mode it will stick in the up position. Getting it down is the issue when i want to use the boat and go fishing. To do so is challenging as the screw to do just that is difficult to access it is about 6 inches above the water line with the swim platform bracket on my 26 ft Grady Express complicating things. i So, rather than getting in the water each time, I would just like to leave it down and wonder if the in-water soak creates problems that are worse than the inconvenience of this temporary process.

Comment

So, about a Month in the drink? I would as above advised and use the lever and hold it up. When you go to use it, trim up for a second to take the weight off the lever and swing it away.
        Then to lower looks like you are going to bleed again and again unless the system starts to work on it's own.
        2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
        Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

If your zincs are good, I would hope a month of soaking would not do to much growth etc to the lower unit.
          2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
          Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

saltwater will eat some on the aluminum, but the anodes are suppose to help that .
            also marine growth will build up on lower unit and prop unless you have it on a lift up out of the water

Comment

Colder, NE waters will have very little affect on the corrosion aspect - given good anodes. Probably a little more growth around this time of year as the water temps are still at their warmest (relatively speaking, of course).

But this is strange that it will trim/tilt UP, but not DOWN. Down should be no problem since the weight of the engine helps it. Maybe there's something else going on. For example, mine is currently leaking and the engine will fall (slowly) all by itself. If you can trim up, you should definitely be able to trim down - unless there's more to the internals that I'm not thinking of.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I would not think leaving a engine down for 3-4 weeks is going to do anything to your outboard....except may leave a bit of scum on the leg. I would leave it down and fix your trim tilt problem when you haul it out...

Comment

Thanks but no clicking -the pump runs just fine but it isn't moving the 'juice'

Yeah it is a bit weird .. once I bleed it down and add a little more fluid it will operate normally for a day or two and when I am done for the day, it will tilt up completely but with a less than assuring sound as if air is included in the hydraulic system. Next time a get to the boat maybe a week later and hit the down tilt, the pump sounds normal but the motor doesn't move . In fact, if i put weight the lower unit it will still resist any downward motion until the Bleed Screw relieves the pressure lock.

Well, once bled down again I will leave it down for the rest of the season and look forward to a rebuilt system for next year.

Thanks all for the ideas and opinions!

Comment

how do you get to the unit to add fluid while it is down?

Comment

Originally posted by HecklerMV View Post
                      Thanks but no clicking -the pump runs just fine but it isn't moving the 'juice'

Yeah it is a bit weird .. once I bleed it down and add a little more fluid it will operate normally for a day or two and when I am done for the day, it will tilt up completely but with a less than assuring sound as if air is included in the hydraulic system. Next time a get to the boat maybe a week later and hit the down tilt, the pump sounds normal but the motor doesn't move . In fact, if i put weight the lower unit it will still resist any downward motion until the Bleed Screw relieves the pressure lock.

Well, once bled down again I will leave it down for the rest of the season and look forward to a rebuilt system for next year.

Thanks all for the ideas and opinions!
                      Just shooting from the hip here, but maybe you're not adding enough fluid and amount of air in the system is somehow causing the internals to "bind up"? Other than that, I can't understand how low fluid would not automatically allow the engine to tilt down on it's own.

When you get it bled to the down position... can you still use the trim (not tilt)? If not, you might want to leave the engine is a slightly trimmed up position (estimate where it would be for normal cruising). Otherwise (if trimmed all the way down), you'll be planting the bow and could end with bow/hull steer on plane.
                      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

there was a guy on here some time ago that swore his motors refused to go down when low on fluid.
                        you never did answer the question of how you are getting to the unit to add fluid.
                        I always thought they all needed to be in the tilted position to add

Comment

They have to be all the way up to be filled.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            there was a guy on here some time ago that swore his motors refused to go down when low on fluid.
                            you never did answer the question of how you are getting to the unit to add fluid.
                            I always thought they all needed to be in the tilted position to add
                            My F150 would get “stuck” fully tilted up. Leaking o-rings.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

My F150 would get “stuck” fully tilted up. Leaking o-rings.
                              could you get to the unit while tilted up to add fluid?

have you ever heard of a motor that you have to lower the motor to add fluid?

Comment

Working...
                              X