Let's talk rectifier/regulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk rectifier/regulators

Very little, if any, theory of operation from Yamaha.

Recently we discussed whether or not a R/R being disconnected would over heat itself and be damaged. Below is a diagram of the F300 Offshore R/R. As I see it, if the lighting coil is disconnected then there will be no current from the lighting coil. As I see it, if the R/R is not connected to a battery there will be no current flow. No current flow means no heat build up.

Feel free to opine any and all thoughts. Sorry that the Offshore R/R is so damn complicated but it is the only one that I can find which seems to accurately depict the internal configuration of the device.

Why does the diagram have two identical units. One connected to three green and one not connected?

Comment

without the lighting coils hooked up to the RR, The voltage should still be generated but no current flow should happen .
      Have to wonder how high could the voltage get,
      and how high a voltage can the insulation stand before that voltage leaks out.

where on that print does the RR bleed the excess voltage off to ground?

I think as long as the lighting coil is hooked to the RR it will bleed off excess voltage causing current to flow.
      without the battery hooked up excess voltage would still be there and need to be bled off to keep the voltage at a specific voltage

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        Why does the diagram have two identical units. One connected to three green and one not connected?
        There are two duplicate identical systems. For redundancy and more power generation I suspect.

It is Yamaha data. What can I say? Only one lighting coil is shown connected to the R/R. Think of the ink they have saved by not showing a complete circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          without the lighting coils hooked up to the RR, The voltage should still be generated but no current flow should happen .
          Have to wonder how high could the voltage get,
          and how high a voltage can the insulation stand before that voltage leaks out.

where on that print does the RR bleed the excess voltage off to ground?

I think as long as the lighting coil is hooked to the RR it will bleed off excess voltage causing current to flow.
          without the battery hooked up excess voltage would still be there and need to be bled off to keep the voltage at a specific voltage
          SM indicates a minimum of 93 peak volts at 3500 RPM with the R/R disconnected from the lighting coil.

Voltage is bled to ground via the components that are circled in purple. Think of them as electronic switches. The regulator causes them to open and close many times a second.

Comment

they are NOT switchs.
            they are Zener diodes.
            this diagram is not correct.
            the rectifier does not have 4 outputs,
            and I have no clue what the P output is.
            and those zeners are voltage con*****ed not ECU or any other device con*****ed.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              aren't the 4 "+" connections the 4 red output wires?

this is the system where the ECM can "turn off" the Aux charge
              (actually seems to me, just 1 of 2 aux outputs)

"P" is one of the two leads to the ECM

Comment

I count five red outputs. Four to the fuse block and one the the ECU. Just like is seen in fairdeal's photograph.

Comment

This may or may not help. I found it interesting and informative.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...tage-regulato/

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    This may or may not help. I found it interesting and informative.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...tage-regulato/
                    That is a good read. That is the source of a diagram that I posted in another thread here about regulators.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      they are NOT switches.
                      they are Zener diodes.
                      this diagram is not correct.
                      and those zeners are voltage con*****ed not ECU or any other device con*****ed.

Comment

Comment

heck I thought the Zener grounded when the set voltage was reached to limit voltage

Comment

Boscoe as usual makes more sense.
                            Add, a Zener diode is nothing special, all diodes "Zener" at a particular reverse voltage. Just a peculiarity of PN or NP junction, they are "semi"conductors after all.

Comment

Working...
                            X