2007 Yamaha 115 TLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Yamaha 115 TLR

Ok guys I'm baffled as to what's going on with my motor. I have an 07 Yamaha 115 2 stroke on by skeeter. The low oil light comes on and alarms and then the motor goes into limp mode.I can get the boat on plain and run 30 to 40mph all day long with no alarm. As soon as I go wide open throttle it alarms. I have unplugged the sensor on the oil reservoir on the motor and it still alarms. The oil pump is pumping I have verified that with the toggle switch on the motor. Both reservoirs have oil in them the one on the side of motor and in the bottom of the boat. Motor is running fine no issues. I unplugged the reservoir completely on side of the motor and it still alarmed but the oil light didnt illuminate. Plugged everything back up and check the head temp sensor. Took off again and the boat didnt alarm. Took it back out today and its alarming again. I give up.
    Last edited by skeeter12; 09-23-2018, 11:42 AM.

cause skeeter went cheap. IMO they rigged it all wrong.
    you cannot take advantage of the oil system self diagnostics.
    sounds like a remote oil tank filter is clogged.
    drain the engine tank Via the water trap.
    make sure the remote tank is 1/2 full.
    now turn the key on. you should have an alarm and a red lamp.
    engine tank should refill and the pump turn off in less than 180 seconds.
    if it wont the filter is clogged or the line is pinched.

Comment

Why would it not alarm running 30 to 40mph constantly? Just curious. As you can tell I'm not mechanically inclined. Like I said the only time it alarms is when I got WOT. And what filter are you saying may be clogged?
      Last edited by skeeter12; 09-23-2018, 12:17 PM.

Comment

The remote oil tank (in the boat) pumps oil to the main tank. The engine is using more oil at high power settings than at low power settings. It seems as if the remote oil tank cannot pump oil in the quantity that the motor needs at high power whereas it seems that it can keep up at low power. This would indicate either (1) the oil filter at the remote tank is partially clogged, (2) the oil hose is pinched restricting oil flow, (3) the oil pump is getting weak and is not able to do its job adequately, (4) there is low voltage to the remote tank electric oil pump or (5) other less likely stuff. (1) is most likely.

As rodnut says, replace the remote oil tank filter. Remove all of the oil from the main oil tank by removing and cleaning the sight sump on the tank. Leave the main tank empty. Make sure the remote oil tank is full. Then do the test that he indicates. Your problem will be solved.

Comment

It might not hurt to pull the remote tank and clean it out while you are replacing the filter. After eleven years there could be crap in the bottom of the tank. Not good if so.

Comment

Op said both tanks have oil, but does the motor tank have enough oil when the alarm starts during high RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              Op said both tanks have oil, but does the motor tank have enough oil when the alarm starts during high RPM?
              That would be a good test given that he does not have oil status lights. When the alarm sounds at high power/WOT immediately stop the motor. Remove the cowling and check the main oil tank. I suspect that it will be low.

Comment

Everytime I pull the cowling off the oil in the motor tank is either right at the top line or just above it. I have pulled the oil tank from the bottom of the boat and pulled the sensor out and somewhat cleaned it. Where is that filter located?

Comment

OP also said he unplugged the float switch assembly on motor tank and alarm still sounds.
                  does unplugging that cause an alarm normally?
                  Been awhile since I looked at any wiring for that system

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter12 View Post
                    Everytime I pull the cowling off the oil in the motor tank is either right at the top line or just above it. I have pulled the oil tank from the bottom of the boat and pulled the sensor out and somewhat cleaned it. Where is that filter located?
                    should be In the line coming out of the tank

did you somewhat clean the tank or the sensor?
                    how did you clean it?

also you would need to turn the key to the off position as soon as the alarm came on, so that the oil pump will not keep pumping while you are getting the cowling off to look at the tank level.
                    Is it possible to run at WOT while the cowling is off so someone could watch the level?
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 09-23-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I'm going to do all of these test when Intake it back out or I will just sink it..lol

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        OP also said he unplugged the float switch assembly on motor tank and alarm still sounds.
                        does unplugging that cause an alarm normally?
                        Been awhile since I looked at any wiring for that system
                        I recall that it does. Safeguard measure methinketh. Otherwise the tank could run dry and the motor become damaged with no alarm being provided.

Comment

you said you get a oil light, is there an oil light not associated with your gauges?
                          Sounded like Rod and Boscoe were saying you do not have Yamaha gauges on that rig.

You do not have to wait until you take it back out to do the test rodbolt was talking about
                          just do it sitting on the trailer in the driveway

Comment

I missed the part about him having a low oil light. That is telling the OP that the main tank is low on oil. Now all he needs to do is to figure out why the remote tank is not keeping it filled.

Comment

Ok guys. So I drained the main tank on the motor and turned the key on. Automatically the alarm sounded and and the low oil lamp came on. Alarm stayed on for a few minutes then went off. Oil was continuously pumping back into the main tank. Now tank is back full to the top line on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X