99 yamaha salt water series 250 clunking noise after changing water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 yamaha salt water series 250 clunking noise after changing water pump

Good day to all... I need some help. I recently changed the water pump on my 250 like I always have. Original owner of this engine. When i cranked it up and started pulling out of the ramp I noticed a clunking noise come and go but not consistent. its loud. Now it only does it in idle speed from 600 - 900 RPMs. after that it goes away and everything is fine. Here is what ive tried
    1) removed pump and reinstall new wave washers and pulled up on shaft while installing the washers and retainer. NO lUCK same noise
    2) when I remove the prop it does not make the noise while in gear or at all.
    3) reinstall prop and same noise again.
    4) My mechanic says its the shaft making that noise no problem wont harm anything. Yamah is known for this problem.

Sorry I cant take that noise it sounds like something is going to pop out of there. I go out with the family and would not like to brake down while dolphin fishing.

Can anyone help??

its relatively normal.
    its either prop chatter due to a loss of 1-2 cylinders(designed that way) or your not getting the collar assy installed properly.
    wont hurt anything however it is annoying.

Comment

Thanks rod bolt, I removed the prop and the thrust washer was stuck to the shaft so I got it removed cleaned shaft and washer greased everything back reinstalled prop and now the noise is gone I hope this was the problem I had also heard that Yamaha came out with a two piece thrust washer to eliminate this but I don't know if it would have worked for my 99. It states from 2002 on. And for my thrust washer they have a superseded part number that is now used on 2006 and newer models.

Do you think I should change the thrust washer to one of these?

Thanks again for your input..

Comment

the SDS setup(two piece0 is a prop system.
        will require a new prop.

the other thrust washer was a stronger washer, its identified by a small groove cut on the circumference of the washer.

Comment

Working...
        X