Yamaha VZ150TLRY starts and instantly dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha VZ150TLRY starts and instantly dies

Last night I changes the VST filter and paper filter in the clear fuel filter on my 2000 Vmax 150 HPDI. I changed it after this past Sunday was on the water and at high rpm's the motor started surging and doing the fuel starving thing. So I ordered the filters and last night went ahead and put them on. After I buttoned everything up I put the muffs on and went to fire it up. After hitting the key the motor spun then fired and ran for 10-15 sec and died, I figured no prob I drained fuel so it needs a minute and hit key again. It spun and ran for 5-8 seconds then died and then I hit key and it just spun and spun and wouldn't fire. I would pump the bulb and it was still hard from the initial pump up and turn key again and it would repeat this sequence of events. I pulled VST again to double check my work and replaced, I poured over electrical connections thinking I may have hit something or screwed up something and didnt see anything. The electric fuel pump (MP) is developing pressure but the motor isn't staying running long enough to check the voltage on the HP pump. It wont run long enough for me to leave the helm to go to the rear of the boat. If I attmept to put in gear it dies instantly. I pulled the plugs and they are wet so I am assuming there is at least some fuel geting in there (it does fire after sitting or pumping bulb for those few seconds). I change the plugs 2 weeks ago and last year I changed the MP to HP filter (I used the correct clamp) changed both LP pumps had linkage sync'd set the Throttle Position sensor to correct voltage and set the oil pump to the correct setting and changed the basket filters in the HP pump.

I just plain ran out of time last night and I am frustrated over this. I searched web most of night and some this morning for a hint but not finding a lot similar. I know there are diagnostice I need to do but I am at work right now and can't really do them. I plan on checking compression tonight just because I am freaked out about losing a cylinder or head gasket. I am just looking for some insight and whether anyone has ever come across this situation before and maybe what direction to head. I have the Yamaha Service Manual and the Clymer Manual for the motor. What I don't have is gobs of money so I'm going to have to test the different sensors as spelled out in the manuals but again just looking for direction I am so frustrated.

Thanks in advance

V/r,

Mike
    89 Ranger 361V, 2000 Yamaha VMAX 150 HPDI

at key on the medium pressure pump should run 3 seconds or so.
    the voltage can be checked anytime the key is on.
    the blue wire is the ECU con*****ed ground path.

most likely it simply has air in the system.

Comment

Yeah I checked the Med Pressure last night, at Key on the pump does its thing and kicks on to build its pressure. While I didn't throw a DVM on it to check the actual voltage I assumed (I know what assume means lol) that it was getting power because I oculd hear it fire up for a few seconds.

I pulled the old VST filter off Sunday evening and left the system dry till last night. Would this contribute? Sot of like a deisel engine when you run it dry and need to prime the injectors? I was almost to the point of pulling the injectors last night but it was getting dark and was raining and I was losing my patience so put things away until today.

In reading all the web positngs out there I am worried there is an issue with the HP pump, I want to get a reading on the HP sensor but need to get it running. What pressurs does the HP pump build while it's starting? The VST filter did need changing when I pulled the old one so I assumed that was what was giving me my issues over the weekend. Now I'm stumped.

Comment

the system is self bleeding, may take a few trys.
        could also be some fouled plugs.
        at cranking the engine runs on all 6, once running in N it drops 2 cylinders.
        HP pump pressure is about 625 PSI anytime its running.

Comment

So even when the motor is just cranking before
          Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

So left work early to mess with
            Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Update - I replaced the bulb with the old one and the fue
              Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

So let it cool a bit and fired it up again, for
                Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Well I think I got it running.
                  Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Well I ended up testing the MP fuel
                    Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

you did read this right?
                      and it will drop more cylinders if you rev it in neutral

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      =
                      could also be some fouled plugs.
                      at cranking the engine runs on all 6, once running in N it drops 2 cylinders.
                      HP pump pressure is about 625 PSI anytime its running.

Maybe you could find a dealer near you to get it hooked up on computer

Comment

Yeah I learned that a long time ago and do not rev in
                        Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

are you revving it in gear or N?

which cylinders are not sparking?

Comment

I am revving in gear and not revving
                            Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Pleasevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                              Last edited by nazbom73; 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X