charging from a manual start OB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
    I was just stating a fact we know...but that somebody on this forum MAY come along and dispute it. That seems to happen now and then no matter the evidence otherwise.. I was being a smart azz.
    Got it. You were being like Boscoe is known to be.

Comment

If the lighting coil is not connected to anything there will be voltage but no current flow. No power.

Now if the lighting coil is connected to the R/R and within the R/R DC positive is connected to DC negative there will be current flow. Battery or no battery. Given the amount of heat that is generated by the current the R/R may get hot. Thus the cooling fins or the device being cooled by water. I am looking for a diagram of a R/R and will post it later.

Comment

I ordered the R/R from this site so it should be here in a couple of weeks. Since it is a Yamaha R/R part, it should last the life of the motor....Right? I'll get it hooked up and put a clamp meter on it to report the amps with the battery connected and test to see if it has any amps running through it with the battery disconnected. Heck, maybe it will even have some words of wisdom on how to install it and maintain it and maybe a warning not to disconnect it from the battery.

Comment

all good points.
          but measuring it may be hard.
          maybe measuring the A/C input to the RR would give the info
          never thought to try that to see what it would tell me

or could measuring the flow of current to the ground wire of the RR tell you something on DC or AC

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

So does the RR control the voltage when not hooked up to a battery?
            I would think it would.
            I think as long as the flywheel is turning the lighting coil will produce voltage and current, the RR is still tied to the lighting coil even if a battery is not hooked up and still keep the voltage within the range it is set for
            If the flywheel is turning and the lighting coil is NOT connected then there will be voltage but no current flow. As you know, many Yams come with a lighting coil installed but no R/R is installed.

Now with respect to your question about the R/R con*****ing voltage when not hooked up to a battery, I think the answer is a qualified "maybe". In some R/R's the answer should be yes. Depending upon the design in others, I don't know.

Here is a diagram of a R/R that short circuits the AC power to keep voltage in check. With this design it appears that the DC voltage output would be con*****ed with or without a battery being connected. Not sure why anyone would do that but folks do some strange stuff.

Comment

Wrote an answer but it got sent to the moderators. Again. Not sure what the heck is going on here. I am boats.net's number one advocate but apparently my posts are setting red flags.

Comment

Boscoe that i bs,

Comment

No BS. This is the third post in about three days that went to cyberspace. They come back but there is nothing in them that should trip an alarm. IMO anyway. Something I guess to do with the filters here.

Just frustrating.

Comment

That aint good, damit.

Comment

I just thought of another test that someone could do that might answer the question of does it still produce power and does the power get bled off in the fins of the R/R? A temperature gun will read the heat coming off the unit when it is producing amps and when the regulator shuts down. I have a temp reading gun and I will try to run that test with the battery connected and disconnected.

Comment

if your going to run it without a battery simply unplug the green wires.
                        yes running without a battery can burn up a rectifier.
                        but typically it is about a 6 amp output on the tiny mites so it most likely may live. but maybe not.
                        I do know the F115 wont live.
                        I know the old 90* V looper jonny/rudes would light on fire, taking the CDI,stator and flywheel mags with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          if your going to run it without a battery simply unplug the green wires.
                          yes running without a battery can burn up a rectifier.
                          but typically it is about a 6 amp output on the tiny mites so it most likely may live. but maybe not.
                          I do know the F115 wont live.
                          I know the old 90* V looper jonny/rudes would light on fire, taking the CDI,stator and flywheel mags with it.
                          Why is that? Shouldn't the cooling fins or water being able to adequately keep the R/R cooled?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40

Did you say you wrote it and edited it several times before it went away?
                            did you add links or pics?

If that is correct maybe that is the cause

I tend to edit my posts often after posting them, and have not had then take off like you say yours do
                            But then I am splendid to behold according to the red marks below my handle if you hover over them
                            Yes. All of that.

Comment

OK, I guess I am getting dumber every day. I got my R/R and it didn't have any bolts, nuts, collars or grommets. I don't know why I would think that those items should have been included but they weren't. $38.67 for those few parts and another 2 weeks probably before I can install this R/R but then again, it's cold and I'm not going to put my boat into the water until next year so no big deal.

Thanks for all the advice anyway guys. I appreciate it and I hope to have something to add someday myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ignatious1947 View Post
                                OK, I guess I am getting dumber every day. I got my R/R and it didn't have any bolts, nuts, collars or grommets. I don't know why I would think that those items should have been included but they weren't. $38.67 for those few parts and another 2 weeks probably before I can install this R/R but then again, it's cold and I'm not going to put my boat into the water until next year so no big deal.

Thanks for all the advice anyway guys. I appreciate it and I hope to have something to add someday myself.
                                As you now painfully know, the R/R is sold alone. It is not sold as a kit or as part of a collection of other parts. So in the future if you need a replacement you will be paying for just the part that you need, and not some related parts that you don't need.

The parts catalog can be a clue as to what will be provided. If you order item 1 below you will get both 1 and 2. If you order 2 you will get just 2. If you order 3 you will get both 3 and 4. If you order 4 you will get just 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X