Gear selector shaft - 1998 130hp two stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear selector shaft - 1998 130hp two stroke

Gear selector shaft has become very stiff? Have removed morse cables and gearbox to identify. Where is this most likely getting seized? Does powerhead have to be removed? Any chance I get away with just removing carbs for access? Is penetrating oil work trying?

are you saying you dropped the lower unit , and the con*****er still has trouble moving the shift linkage?

Comment

Yes I dropped lower unit so selector shaft is free at bottom. Disconnected cable also. Shaft very stiff to move.

Comment

With the LU removed, how easy does the control (at the helm) work (forward and reverse)?

Did you drain and inspect the oil in the LU looking specifically for water / metal particles?

Lastly, when shifting the LU (on the bench), the main vertical drive shaft should be turning at least slowly, clockwise looking downward, (so the cogs can engauge)
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-18-2018, 06:52 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

sounds like the linkage on the motor itself is what is binding from what the OP wrote.

Maybe someone can give him a clear direction to get to the transition of the linkage where it heads down towards the lower unit.

Just my opinion but the power head may have to come off to get down into that linkage

Comment

Found it: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...30tlrw/control

Quote: "Yes I dropped lower unit so selector shaft is free at bottom. Disconnected cable also. Shaft very stiff to move."

"Shift shaft" as in the LU or in the UPPER LINKAGE??? Some clarity please op..

(Seems the shifter control cable to the engine itself is disconnected.)
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-18-2018, 10:15 AM.
            Scott

Comment

Thanks for diagram. It is the linkage that is stiff. Lower unit is fine.

Comment

Thanks...

Inspect closely for anything broke / amiss.

Linkages probably need a good cleaning (brake cleaner) and re-grease.

With a 20 year old engine, if not lubed every once in awhile, it gets sticky / nasty..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-20-2018, 06:36 AM.
                Scott

Comment

It the only way to clean a lubricate to take off power head to access it?

Comment

can you get to #50 to put grease in there?
                    I think that #53 is the bushing in #44 that could be binding up

Comment

Originally posted by Excalibur130 View Post
                      It the only way to clean a lubricate to take off power head to access it?
                      Dunno, but I agree with 99yam. Looks like a grease fitting.

I'd spray the snot (with PENETRATING OIL, NOT WD 40) out of EVERYTHING that remotely moves and get things freed up..
                      Scott

Comment

I think they call them “mystery” zerks over at Boscoe’s other forum. I have two on my shifting appendages. I haven’t studied that section of the service manual to see any recommendations for intervals.

Comment

The boat I fish on has 2004 f225 , port side got so stiff to shift , became impossible to shift , I pulled power head , the shift mechanism / ball bearing detent had gotten jammed , I had a spare shift shaft to replace , but really did not need it , just no way to keep it lubed , I hoped that helps , e

Comment

Thanks for all comments. Talked to yamaha dealers. Their comment was it required power head off and clean down. They said they had not been successful with penetrating oils.

Comment

Originally posted by Excalibur130 View Post
                              Thanks for all comments. Talked to yamaha dealers. Their comment was it required power head off and clean down. They said they had not been successful with penetrating oils.
                              IMO, I'd try it, penetrating oil won't hurt anything.

Yamaha won't make much $ using just penetrating oil.. If it doesn't work, you know what has to be done..

Good luck..
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X