Fuel hose for F225's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel hose for F225's

My yacht-t-t-t-t-t is equipped with two Yamaha F225TURDs, vintage 2005.

I am looking at replacing the fuel lines under the cowlings, IOW all the hose from the first stage filter to the LP pump, to the VST and from the VST to the injector manifolds.

When looking at various hoses I frequently see "Not for fuel injected engines". Now, the stuff that Yam jammed onto these engines seems pretty basic and NO different from the fuel lines I am looking at. So what gives? Does anyone know how much PSI the HI PSI pump delivers to the fuel line that wanders off to the injectors? It can't be all that much considering the size of the HP pump. Ideally, someone will suggest a reasonably cheap, E10 resistant fuel line that I can get on AMZN or at Oreilly's.

I just read some history on the interwebs that suggests that these old fuel lines be changed out as they are delaminating internally from the ethanol in the gas. Some guy at a marina in FL says they see it all the time. I am also searching for a decent replacement for the F filter. I'd like to put a clear inline filter in its place but the reviews on AMZN generally suck and indicate that leaks are not uncommon. I don't mind it so much when my auto catches on fire, but when I am playing in blue water the last thing I want to do is try and fight a fire under an outboard cowling with one of my puny fire extinguishers.

**Before any brain surgeons bitch-slap me for burning E10, I will politely inform you that E10 is the only gas available for a hundred miles of my boat.

53f533e46598e.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C796.jpg1621795.jpg ​​​​​​​

My F150 has specified 45 PSI at the fuel rail, if that helps..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      My F150 has specified 45 PSI at the fuel rail, if that helps..
      as does Oldmako's F225.
      The "not for fuel injected" hose generally has a pressure rating "around 40 or so" -
      but "fuel injection hose" is rated much higher - IIRC 100 PSI or more.

Anyway - that "not for fuel injected" restriction only refers to the "high pressure" hoses -
      which isn't very much-

(and I'm sure that one could "get away" with the lesser rated hose "for a while" - but even I would not be that cheap)

For everything else from the tank, to the top of the VST, "not for fuel injected" hose IS what you want.

I recently replaced the OEM Yamaha hose between the transom filter and the undercowling filter -
      this is what I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-FUEL-L...72.m2749.l2649

oh, and I use nothing but E-10 .

I saw the E-10 hose delamination once, with my black F90
      actually it was the Mercury OEM supply hose with built-in primer bulb
      some unreinforced silver colored stuff with a clear inner liner -
      the ethanol pulled the plasticizer from the liner, turned it into hard amber chips and dust.

I have never seen any conventional black fuel hose, with the string-reinforced jacket, fail to stand up to E-10

Comment

Have to say tho, that I "admire" the OEM Yamaha hose
        used on the suction side of my F225 between the filter and LP pump
        has held up perfectly,
        thin walled and does not appear to be reinforced -
        I like its flexibility and slimness.

If I wanted to replace those sections - I might spring for the real thing

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

as does Oldmako's F225.
          The "not for fuel injected" hose generally has a pressure rating "around 40 or so" -
          but "fuel injection hose" is rated much higher - IIRC 100 PSI or more.

Anyway - that "not for fuel injected" restriction only refers to the "high pressure" hoses -
          which isn't very much-

(and I'm sure that one could "get away" with the lesser rated hose "for a while" - but even I would not be that cheap)

For everything else from the tank, to the top of the VST, "not for fuel injected" hose IS what you want.

I recently replaced the OEM Yamaha hose between the transom filter and the undercowling filter -
          this is what I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-FUEL-L...72.m2749.l2649

oh, and I use nothing but E-10 .

I saw the E-10 hose delamination once, with my black F90
          actually it was the Mercury OEM supply hose with built-in primer bulb
          some unreinforced silver colored stuff with a clear inner liner -
          the ethanol pulled the plasticizer from the liner, turned it into hard amber chips and dust.

I have never seen any conventional black fuel hose, with the string-reinforced jacket, fail to stand up to E-10
          I had the exact same hose, transom filter to under cowl filter do the exact same thing. The liner turned to "mush".

Most of it pulled out like long, flat spaghetti...

Plus one on the Yamaha under cowl line. It's not like the after market stuff.. I have yet to see Yamaha fuel line fail.
          And yes, that HP line, IMO, spring for the Yamaha stuff, it's not worth gambling with..

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

and use the proper clamps to make sure leaks stay away

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              and use the proper clamps to make sure leaks stay away
              exactly.
              I have no inclination to mess with the fuel rail side hoses on my engine.
              But if I did - I would be compelled to spring for an Oetiker tool....

Comment

Oetiker tool....That is the way to go, Mc Master car is the cheapest.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that nobody has figured out what manufacturer makes and sells to Yamaha those nice hoses.

They are great rubber and I have a fuel line primer bulb from the late eighties that is still in great shape.

I think next time I go to local industrial park I will bring my hose and go to a hose distributer and see if they can tell me what it may be.

Comment

Working...
                  X