Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction of new Poppit Valve

Hi all,

I've seen some discussion on how to install the new-style "domed" poppit valve.

The on-line manuals show the dome facing out, away from the power head and up against the spring.

Others say that the star legs can NOT go through the gromet, therefore, the dome faces the power head, up against the gromet.

Can someone here please confirm and verify on the proper way to install this thing?!

Thank you!!

Glenn

I have the 130 and replaced as it shows in the parts diagram with the dome pressing against the spring and the "legs" going into the grommet. Been running this way for many months now w/o any problems. If it was wrong I would think I would have had a problem by now. I had the same question as you and had seen a post where the guy installed with the dome against the grommet, but I installed the way the diagram shows anyway. Think about it, if you install the other way (dome against grommet) you will never have a good seal, kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, just put it in the way the parts diagram shows, I did and no problems so far...not sure abt the other guy. Hopefully someone at Boats.net will chime in.

Comment

Glen the spring goes over the legs and presses against the cover as it always has. The mushroom dome seats against the rubber grommet seal as you would expect. The mushroom dome is designed to be more hydrodynamic and let any debris slip by without getting caught like they did in the old flat faced style PRV. Its possible to put it in backwards but the mushroom top won't stay in position in the spring and you'd end up with all kinds of problems.

Mike ............ Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Mike! What you say seems reasonable but the service manual doesn't show it this way. Is this an error in print?!

Look at the link:

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partim...fx?d=82547,3,0

Thanks again!!

Glenn

Comment

Glenn that's not a service manual diagram, its a parts sales reference diagram. True, it would be nice if they pointed the PRV in the right direction, but that's not the artist's concern. Yamaha will probably fix it in future revisions. Call your local Yamaha dealer and talk to the techs that work on them. The relief water flows OUT away from the powerhead, past the PRV, and into the attached hose. What good would it do to put the flat face back into the powerhead? That's the whole problem with the old style PRV, it cought every piece of debris passing by, and got clogged up or blocked open. The new mushroom style is more hydrodynamic (when facing INTO the flow....) and allows debris to pass by without catching on anything. Leaving the PRV clean and free to open and close tightly, as necessary.

Mike .......... Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks Mike for responding and sharing the information, really great stuff here!!

Good luck and thanks again!

Glenn

Comment

Working...
            X