HELP, tiller throttle problems on my 1989 40/28 jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, tiller throttle problems on my 1989 40/28 jet

I need help figuring out why my throttle helix jumps out of the carriage groove when I twist open the throttle.
    I have replaced the helix rod and throttle cable.
    i have checked the schematic and I am not missing any parts and everything appears to be installed correctly.
    This is a very simple tiller with few moving parts.
    I am extremely frustrated and confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Tom

I don't have a MODEL #, is this your tiller: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...anual-steering

Is it part #16 jumping out of what section?

The pic on the links is poor, can you post your picture again pointing at the area where it's popping out?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-29-2018, 06:34 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I read this last night, but could not figure out what he was calling a helix.
      Thought it was the beer I was drinking.
      but this morning I still am not sure what it is

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        I read this last night, but could not figure out what he was calling a helix.
        Thought it was the beer I was drinking.
        but this morning I still am not sure what it is
        Yep, me too.

That's why I posted the link and there's nothing there on the parts list (if correct), stating Helix. ??
        Scott

Comment

thanks folks. I will try to clarify my info.
          the part I was calling a helix is part # 10 on the link above. called a lever, throttle. it has a helical fin that rides in a grove in the carriage on the end of the throttle cable, part # 16 pulling or pushing the throttle cable forward or back to open or close the throttle at the carbs.
          when I throttle up to take off the fin on the lever jumps out of the groove in the carriage rendering my throttle useless.
          N 20180827_154348_resized.jpg ormally I have the cover over the throttle assembly, it was removed for pictures of the lever and assembly.

Comment

I have no knowledge of that tiller mechanism,
            but if a fin is to stay in a slot when pushing and pulling I would think it needs sharp 90 degree shoulders on it where it fits into the slot and the slot should have them also. If rounded it would tend to jump out

maybe Rodbolt could give some info on what would cause this

Comment

I think screw #7, looks like a retaining screw, is that there and if so, tight?

Part #6, a rivet, is that still "one piece" and holding?
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X