Got another Well Crap here too....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got another Well Crap here too....

Got a little fuel leak on this new filter bracket. Tried twice to seal it and still get a few drops here and there in the bilge. You can see how the wicking is discoloring the PTEF tape I have used. The last time I sealed I used about three wraps of tape. Is there something better I can use on these fittings?

are you using the gas rated tape?
    pink stuff I think

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      are you using the gas rated tape?
      pink stuff I think
      Well, the white stuff I bought from WMarine said good for fuel applications. If pink would fix it I would buy pink. I want the third time to be the last. Working in bilge sucks.

Comment

Maybe you just didn't tighten it enough. I use teflon paste - I've found it easier (and better) than tape. No matter which you use, remember to always skip the first thread.

Also... for "best practice", always rotate your worm gears 180* to each other. There's a small dead spot under the gear.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't say "easier"... it's not like it's hard to use the tape!
        Last edited by DennisG01; 08-26-2018, 10:15 PM.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I have not seen it myself or used it but I read about it on here. think it was fairdeal that brought it up

Comment

I'm with Dennis;
            in my experience getting a perfect seal with PTFE tape,
            requires the fitting to be be installed quite tightly
            even more so when one or both of the threads are stainless

I can imagine working in that situation, in the bilge,
            and the bracket held only by its mounting bolts,
            its difficult to get the barb in very tight

a paste "dope" is much more forgiving and will seal a "looser" fit.

As for the color of the PTFE - that is just an indicator of its "density" -
            essentially "thickness".
            So pink or yellow you simply need less wraps than you would with a thin white tape
            Any color PTFE is equally resistant to gasoline (which is totally)

Comment

Perhaps wrapping all the barbs while the filter mount is out of the boat on a bench.

You can probably get it tighter and neater, and bench test...

I gather your wrapping the tape so the final "end" of the tape goes in the correct direction as your fittings (IE, your not un-winding the tape as you install the fittings)?
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

most times folks over tighten the fitting and can crack the housing.
                ditch the Teflon crap and simply wipe the fitting with a dab of loc-tite 518, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  most times folks over tighten the fitting and can crack the housing.
                  ditch the Teflon crap and simply wipe the fitting with a dab of loc-tite 518, problem solved.
                  Thought about the 518. What about using 518 and some tape?

Comment

I wouldn't use both. You'd be taking a superior product and degrading it, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                      I wouldn't use both. You'd be taking a superior product and degrading it, so to speak.
                      Only thing about using some of the tape would be to firm up the connection. The 518 has to starved off air/oxygen to set up... I’ll pull the damn thing out of bilge and experiment a bit. Thanks for the input guys. And I had to have a stainless bracket....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Only thing about using some of the tape would be to firm up the connection. The 518 has to starved off air/oxygen to set up... I’ll pull the damn thing out of bilge and experiment a bit. Thanks for the input guys. And I had to have a stainless bracket....
                        The "extra" that squeezes out of the joint as you tighten may not fully cure, but the goop that remains in/on the first few threads will be MORE than sufficient. It doesn't take much - it's simply going to fill in the tiny voids between the male/female threads. Don't over think it

Comment

Try using Permatex 80018

Comment

I would ditch the marpro water seperator and get a yamaha. Never have much luck with afternarket stuff. Plus, you get to use a yamaha tall filter. It is excellet.

Saturday after the surgery on my head and water jacket, I decided it was also time to change out my racor filters. Old ones were great, poured out like new fuel.

I installed the bottom section on the filter, the clear bowl. I then went to install on the housing, used a filter wrench, just to get snug. As I removed the filter
                            wrench, it tapped the lower bowl. Well, bowl and green o-ring pop off into the bilge with the fuel I filled the filter with. That was it for me. I went to Yamaha
                            filters.
                            I believe Racors are great, but that should not have happened. Oh, the other one developed a drip from the bowl as well. May have been the drain.

2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
                            Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Originally posted by Operaman View Post
                              I would ditch the marpro water seperator and get a yamaha. Never have much luck with afternarket stuff. Plus, you get to use a yamaha tall filter. It is excellet.

Saturday after the surgery on my head and water jacket, I decided it was also time to change out my racor filters. Old ones were great, poured out like new fuel.

I installed the bottom section on the filter, the clear bowl. I then went to install on the housing, used a filter wrench, just to get snug. As I removed the filter
                              wrench, it tapped the lower bowl. Well, bowl and green o-ring pop off into the bilge with the fuel I filled the filter with. That was it for me. I went to Yamaha
                              filters.
                              I believe Racors are great, but that should not have happened. Oh, the other one developed a drip from the bowl as well. May have been the drain.
                              The Marpro part is only the stainless you see. I use one of the “tall” Yam filters screwed on below. I have used a Sierra filter in the past but it seemed to rust very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X